Moon Setting over Gulf of Mexico

losttravelerfl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.f8pix.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Out trying to take pictures of other things, but the moon caught my attention instead.

191.jpg

Wow. It looks like it is broken off. Very cool perspective.

Wow, you must have been using a preeettty long lens.

-Will

Thanks.
The lens was a sigma 300mm, and an exposure of a few seconds. Others have told me it looks like an eclipse the way it's cut off, but it was just a waning moon, with a hint of whispy clouds.

A few seconds? And you got details?

Next time, try shooting a much, much shorter exposure. You should get more details. Treat the moon as you would something in full sunlight because that is the conditions on the moon that you are trying to capture.

I cannot understand how you people are getting that kind of magnification with 300mm lenses! I have seen similiar with 200mm. I can't do it :(

I looked at the raw file, it was 2 sec at f5. It's def a over exposed on most of the moon, but I'm not positive it would have been enough light to peer into the craters at the edge of the shadow with less explosure. Maybe it would have been. But, why would you not expect details with a longer exposure?

A tripod would have helped. I think I see motion blur..Cosmo

Trust me, I don't hand hold for shots in the multiple second range! It was VERY windy and I've had issues with any tripod in gusty winds. The moon was just over the horizon, setting really fast as you can watch it drop at that point, possible that actually contributed to it as well, not sure.

But, why would you not expect details with a longer exposure?

The moon moves. It is continously moving. You can't detect it with your eyes but the camera still captures that movement with slower speeds. That creates blur. It could be the reason behind the motion blur cosmonaunt is seeing.

long exposures with the moon are overexposed adn loose all detail.. shoot the moon like you were shooting the sun... usually i do about 1/250 at f8...try it...you'll be surpised, i was!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back