More pics! I will NOT give up just yet! C&C please!

You might want to check that before you swallow the aforementioned information hook, line and sinker. 50mm is 50mm, 85mm is 85mm, and so on. The "crop" is in Field of Vision, not focal length.

You might want to check that before you swallow the aforementioned information hook, line and sinker. 50mm is 50mm, 85mm is 85mm, and so on. The "crop" is in Field of Vision, not focal length.

So what happens if you take a 50mm lens and put it on both bodies. The images will look different correct? Yes the sensor is the cause of it. However if you took a 50mm on a crop body and an 85mm on a full frame body the images would look similar would they not?

I like them all for the most part, but #2 is a standout IMO.

So what happens if you take a 50mm lens and put it on both bodies. The images will look different correct? Yes the sensor is the cause of it. However if you took a 50mm on a crop body and an 85mm on a full frame body the images would look similar would they not?

Apples and Oranges that just happen to taste the same. The previous poster is right. You can not change focal length. However you can get a different field of view depending on what camera/lens you use. **** not even every crop body has the same crop factor (however this is pretty much a difference by manufacturer and not individual body within a line).

Oh and to the OP - why would you give up? No one started out (other than myself of course) taking super awesome quality photos.

Apples and Oranges that just happen to taste the same. The previous poster is right. You can not change focal length. However you can get a different field of view depending on what camera/lens you use. **** not even every crop body has the same crop factor (however this is pretty much a difference by manufacturer and not individual body within a line).

Oh and to the OP - why would you give up? No one started out (other than myself of course) taking super awesome quality photos.

I understand what you both are saying and how it works I was just trying to simplify things.

Tks guys.

And yes, simplifying the wording is good, lol ;)

I didn't meant it literally ;)
I am not one to give up thaaat easily....tooo much to learn! :sexywink:

maybe I can help make sense out of what is being said. in the old days there was a general rule of thumb. the rule was you can't hand hold the camera still enough in a photo where the shutter speed is slower than the focal length. say you shoot a photo at 50mm you should make sure the shutter speed is at least 1/60th of a second or faster. a shot with a 200mm lens you will get blur with anything under a shutter speed of 1/200th of a second and so on.
in the newer cameras, the sensor is smaller than the equivalent shutter opening on the old cameras. this means that you will have a different angle of view at the sensor and therefore the rule has to be adjusted by the difference between the two. I'm not sure this makes a difference since the focal length is not different and the amount of shake should not be more. it is strictly the length of the lense that causes the exaggeration. an example would be to hold a pencil out in front of you and see how steady you can hold it, then hold a piece of dowel 6 feet long and see how steady it is. at the end it will move a bunch more than the pencil. it doesn't really matter how big your hand is:wink: I would suggest staying with the rule unless you find that you get blurry or un-sharp photos, if so just add a little speed until they sharpen up. personally I don't mind the softness in the photo, when shooting people it is always more important to get the mood of the moment regardless of technicalities. kinda long but I hope it makes it a bit clearer.
Scott:cool:

I have been doing this for very little time and do not expect to be 'good' anytime soon, just really wanted to make sure that what I AM doing is correct... ;)
I looked at your previous pictures you posted for C&C and I think you're showing improvement. You're not centering your subjects as much and you're shooting a variety of subjects.

Of course you've only been doing this a week or so and you have a lot more to learn. Read as much as you can, look at pictures taken by good photographers and examine them (Why are they good? What caught my eye? Would I have taken a picture of the subject in the same way? Why not? Etc...), try different things when you go out to shoot, shoot a lot. You'll keep improving as time goes on. Soon you'll be giving new shooters advice.

Samanax: thanks, it means a lot to me that some experienced folks actually take the time to comment, look back, etc.

I've been reading, shooting, reading the manual, shooting some more, lol...etc etc

Maybe I'm too eager to learn something I KNOW it takes time and experience to look good.

I see some of the sites ppl here have with their work and I wonder if I'm ever getting there :p

I don't even have photoshop yet. Certainly I'll have to get and learn that to improve the pics.

Anyway. Tks again :)

Most reactions

Back