More Senior Pics (outdoors)

Universal Polymath

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, so yesterday, I took the outdoor pics for my recent senior portrait job. Things went okay, I guess. Honestly, I didn't really know what I was doing out there, I felt like we started a bit too early, it was terribly windy, and the girl's mom seemed to be calling all the shots.

Having gotten those complaints out of the way, I hope I came out of this with something. I've only gotten around to editing a few so far, but I need some opinions. Is there anything here?

01-3.jpg

02-1.jpg

Erin.jpg

04-1.jpg

05-1.jpg

These are beauitiful - good job. ;)

I really like the color of these, but her skin is plastic in 3 and 5. She needs a few wrinkles or blemishes in them to make them look real again.

Very nice lighting and colors! I disagree about the blemishes and wrinkles. She's a teenager! Their goal in life is to be blemish free. You gave her what she wants. Real nice effects...

Thanks for the comments, guys! Switch, I think I agree with you, and I might bring it back a little. I wanted her to look as blemish free as possible, but not so much that she became plastic. Gotta find a happy medium.

I partly agree about the skin. You can clean up skin very effectively without making the skin look plastic, and still keep some realistic texture. I dont think her skin is that bad here in this series, but it does look rather smooth, especially in #2.

What I see mostly is the softness applied to her overall appearance, which I think is appropriate for girls, but not so much for guys in senior portraits (as discussed in a previous thread by sw1tch). I dont think it was overdone. But its all a matter of taste and preference. And if the client likes it, thats all that matters really.

Not to be nitpicky, but the only thing I might have done differently is adjust the angle of the shot in #4 just slightly. As it is right now, I think its making her hip look a little larger than it really is. Also, the beaded light from behind the bench looks like its sitting right on top of her toe, which is leading my eye to it. Its a very minor thing though.

Again, I think you did a great job with the lighting and overall effect of this series. Keep up the awesome work. :thumbup:

NJ

Great job with the posing!

What is that weird triangular thing in the upper right corner of #3?

I agree with NJman about the light above the toes.

Did you whiten her teeth in #1? They seem to be the only thing my eye goes to in that picture.

Otherwish, wonderful set of photos!

Marian

Thanks for the comments, guys!

NJ and Wildmaven - Funny you should mention the light above her toes on #4. I noticed that before posting here, and Photoshopped it out of the original, but not before already making the JPEG copies for the web. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you noticed such a small detail - You guys notice everything. Just since I've started to visit The Photo Forum, I've learned to scrutinize my work like never before!

What is that weird triangular thing in the upper right corner of #3?

Jeez, great eye! It's been corrected, thanks for pointing that out!

gorgeous shots of a stunning model! how great are those lashes?????!!!!! my faves are 1 & 2... but as switch said, maybe just bring back some of the wrinkles just a tad! great work. x

Thanks! Yeah, the second one is definitely my favorite as well.

All in all, some very good shots. The skin colour is right. There is detail in the hair. The eyes are pretty good, although some brightening would be helpful in #3 and #4. The model: hair or clothes should not blend into the background on the dark side. Some selective postprocessing would be helpful to try and counteract this problem. The pose in number 4 does not quite work, but the only answer in postprocessing is to thin her "posterior" a little.

skieur

I really like the first two - they are fantastic and she looks very genuine, smile-wise in them. It helps that your model is a very pretty girl, of course. Great job - I can't imagine they will not be thrilled.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back