motorbikes of all types including scooters..

I want a honda ruckus, cuz they look fun....does this work?? hahaha

I'll do one of each.....

414341_3354327451610_1369238384_o.jpg

SCOOT-ah shoot

SWP_0117.jpg

Used to be mine (circa. 1965) ...

sep1965.jpg

Mine ....

fltrip08_075.jpg

Also Mine ....

2010-04-03-06.jpg

Not Mine!!

2011-04-17-003.jpg

2011-09-24-051.jpg

2011-09-25-042.jpg

Reactions: pez
From a couple years ago.

DSC_0346.jpg

Used to be mine (circa. 1965) ...

Also Mine ....

2010-04-03-06.jpg

That there is a thing of great beauty to me. I had a varadero for 3 years and I always moaned about it being too big, I always planned to switch to this bad boy but sadly(!!!! from wife) a baby was born before it could happen. My vara was sold by piece to pay for a mondeo which apparently was more fitting for my new status.

That there is a thing of great beauty to me. I had a varadero for 3 years and I always moaned about it being too big, I always planned to switch to this bad boy but sadly(!!!! from wife) a baby was born before it could happen. My vara was sold by piece to pay for a mondeo which apparently was more fitting for my new status.
They are great bikes. I bought that one new in 2006 and still have it. I rode a 2005 DL1000 (mine is the 650 version) from Nashville to Phoenix by way of southern Colorado and Utah, and when I left Nashville on it the odometer showed just under 94,000 miles. It still belongs to a friend in Phoenix, and it's been across the USA several times, it's done a "4-Corners" (San Ysidro, CA to Blaine, WA to Madawaska, ME to Key West, FL) and been to Alaska once. Change the oil, put on tires and chains when it needs them, and that's about it.

They are great bikes. I bought that one new in 2006 and still have it. I rode a 2005 DL1000 (mine is the 650 version) from Nashville to Phoenix by way of southern Colorado and Utah, and when I left Nashville on it the odometer showed just under 94,000 miles. It still belongs to a friend in Phoenix, and it's been across the USA several times, it's done a "4-Corners" (San Ysidro, CA to Blaine, WA to Madawaska, ME to Key West, FL) and been to Alaska once. Change the oil, put on tires and chains when it needs them, and that's about it.

Yeah it was the 650 I was after as well, I used the bike for the work commute as well and I wanted the narrower profile for filtering. (I considered the 650 vstrom to be the varaderos little sister). The vara was a superb bike dont get me wrong, but it was a bit big to be swinging in and out of traffic and riding the white lines. (I still did it for 3 years though lol). After moving to the states my father-in-law actually offered me a harley sportster to borrow/buy as he had 3, but as much as I wanted to get back into bikes I just couldn't bring myself to ride a harley. And yet he kept telling me how fast it was... ;)

In all honesty if I ever get another bike it'll probably be a pan european, (st1100 i think in the states?), I like my hondas and they've always been good to me. And while not up to Alaskan standards, the north of Scotland isnt a laughing matter on a bike neither lol. Ive spent probably around 7 years of my life with a puddle of rain or snow water in my crotch, how I managed kids I have no idea.

Yeah it was the 650 I was after as well, I used the bike for the work commute as well and I wanted the narrower profile for filtering. (I considered the 650 vstrom to be the varaderos little sister). The vara was a superb bike dont get me wrong, but it was a bit big to be swinging in and out of traffic and riding the white lines. (I still did it for 3 years though lol). After moving to the states my father-in-law actually offered me a harley sportster to borrow/buy as he had 3, but as much as I wanted to get back into bikes I just couldn't bring myself to ride a harley. And yet he kept telling me how fast it was... ;)

In all honesty if I ever get another bike it'll probably be a pan european, (st1100 i think in the states?), I like my hondas and they've always been good to me. And while not up to Alaskan standards, the north of Scotland isnt a laughing matter on a bike neither lol. Ive spent probably around 7 years of my life with a puddle of rain or snow water in my crotch, how I managed kids I have no idea.

The V-Stroms are great bikes. I know of very, very few who have bought one that regretted it. They are relatively easy to ride, responsive, and a lot of fun.

You're right about the Hondas to. No body can ever dispute their build quality. My VFR is an '07 and it's as solid today as it was the day I bought it. They are absolutely solid as a rock.

I can relate to the wet. I've been hot and cold and wet and dry. Funny thing is that a few minutes after I get off the bike, the discomfort is forgotten and only the fun of the ride is remembered. I've been so hot I thought I was going to pass out and I've been so cold I didn't think I could put my feet down when I stopped. After I parked the bike I completely forgot about it though.

The V-Stroms are great bikes. I know of very, very few who have bought one that regretted it. They are relatively easy to ride, responsive, and a lot of fun.

You're right about the Hondas to. No body can ever dispute their build quality. My VFR is an '07 and it's as solid today as it was the day I bought it. They are absolutely solid as a rock.

I can relate to the wet. I've been hot and cold and wet and dry. Funny thing is that a few minutes after I get off the bike, the discomfort is forgotten and only the fun of the ride is remembered. I've been so hot I thought I was going to pass out and I've been so cold I didn't think I could put my feet down when I stopped. After I parked the bike I completely forgot about it though.

I can actually say I have never ever been too hot on a bike lol. Most of the time in Scotland I was riding with a buffalo bike jacket on top of a really thick sheepskin jacket from the 70s, and then whatever else I was wearing under. On long trips there would be much more.

One ride in particular I remember was a 600mile through-the-night job when I had to come back from vacation for an emergency. It was march, about 20 degrees and maybe about a 40mph wind that was gusting like nobodys buisness. I kept having ice crystals form on the knuckles of my gloves (and all down my front) which was a new experience for me, and I had to stop every hour or so to drink gas station coffee and try not to look as if I was having a seizure while making it. My hands were almost locked in the grip position as well, and had to be pretty much peeled off. I swore I was buying a car after that run. Still, I think even the next day I was back out on the country roads scaring the sheep. As you say, people have a very short memory when it comes to the downside of riding.

In all honesty, the only part of that trip that I remember vividly was the sunrise as I rode into my city, and the *#*#* cop who pulled me over on the bypass for doing 90 in a 70 when I was less than 5mins from home.

As an extra, im also thinking now of a very pretty polish girl who was wearing a lot of makeup and I took her up to 120mph in the rain, (she wanted to go fast, not my fault) only to discover upon returning that she had been too scared to even close her visor. Most of her makeup was around her ears. :lol:

I can actually say I have never ever been too hot on a bike lol. Most of the time in Scotland I was riding with a buffalo bike jacket on top of a really thick sheepskin jacket from the 70s, and then whatever else I was wearing under. On long trips there would be much more.

One ride in particular I remember was a 600mile through-the-night job when I had to come back from vacation for an emergency. It was march, about 20 degrees and maybe about a 40mph wind that was gusting like nobodys buisness. I kept having ice crystals form on the knuckles of my gloves (and all down my front) which was a new experience for me, and I had to stop every hour or so to drink gas station coffee and try not to look as if I was having a seizure while making it. My hands were almost locked in the grip position as well, and had to be pretty much peeled off. I swore I was buying a car after that run. Still, I think even the next day I was back out on the country roads scaring the sheep. As you say, people have a very short memory when it comes to the downside of riding.

In all honesty, the only part of that trip that I remember vividly was the sunrise as I rode into my city, and the *#*#* cop who pulled me over on the bypass for doing 90 in a 70 when I was less than 5mins from home.

As an extra, im also thinking now of a very pretty polish girl who was wearing a lot of makeup and I took her up to 120mph in the rain, (she wanted to go fast, not my fault) only to discover upon returning that she had been too scared to even close her visor. Most of her makeup was around her ears. :lol:

I wish I could say I've never been hot on a bike! When you ride in the southern or western part of the USA you will get hot in the summer! The worst I've been in was in downtown Atlanta, GA a few years ago. I was in full gear for me (full-face helmet, gloves, jacket, boots), stuck in construction traffic going nowhere, in July, in Georgia humidity, not a cloud in the sky, and the thermometer on my instrument panel was glaring 106 degrees at me. I finally got north of Atlanta and stopped at a store, bought 4 bottles of water, killed two of them in about 2 minutes, and poured the other two on my face and back. Strangely that is one of the few discomforts I clearly remember because it was honestly the hottest I have ever been in my life.

On the other end, I was in Utah on top of a mountain, in light snow, at 25 degrees ;) I didn't ride 600 miles in it, but it sure felt like it.

Cold is easier these days than it was decades ago. I have an electrically heated jacket liner and heated gloves now that help immensely. I can ride comfortably down to the mid 30's. I remember getting home as a kid after riding in cold rain and literally having ice crack off my blue jeans.

Most reactions

Back