Mountain with cows

Sylon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
IMG_8257-1.jpg

This is my first post here.

Photography has been my hobby for about a year now, and i'd love to have some feedback on some of my personal work.

Great shot! What mountain is that?

I'm interested to see what slightly more contrast and a slight gradient to the sky would look like. Maybe add a touch more warmth to the image too

Great shot! What mountain is that?

I'm interested to see what slightly more contrast and a slight gradient to the sky would look like. Maybe add a touch more warmth to the image too

Thank you for your comment! This is mountain Taranaki in the north island of New Zealand.

I've added more contrast (+25) with the contrast slider in Lightroom. I'm not sure what kind of gradient you mean, but i've slightly reduced the exposure (-.3) of the sky with a gradient filter from the top. I've increased the temperature a bit as well.

Additionally i've added a slight vignette (-10) to draw more attention to the centre of the image.

I do think the image pops more with the added contrast, I think I like it better this way.

IMG_8257-1-3.jpg

Overall this is an interesting photo.

Thank you! I'm glad you find it interesting.

Last edited:
Yes, your slightly edited second version does have a bit more "oomph!", but like most good edits, it is sublty done. So,so many people go wild with edits, and greatly exaggerate a few things, and in the process, often hurt the intent of the original image. I think what you'v done in this edited shot is good, but it looks just a tiny,tiny bit too dim in the mid-ground area, IMHO. maybe a .3 EV expoisure brightening?

I think what might help is to icnrease the clarity a teeny-tiny bit, and then take a dodging tool, and lighten up a few of the sunlighted patches on the green grass, to better simulate dappled light coming through high clouds. I'd try to make these subtle patches of lightening-up, not more than 15 to 20 percent tweaks.

Yes, your slightly edited second version does have a bit more "oomph!", but like most good edits, it is sublty done. So,so many people go wild with edits, and greatly exaggerate a few things, and in the process, often hurt the intent of the original image. I think what you'v done in this edited shot is good, but it looks just a tiny,tiny bit too dim in the mid-ground area, IMHO. maybe a .3 EV expoisure brightening?

I think what might help is to icnrease the clarity a teeny-tiny bit, and then take a dodging tool, and lighten up a few of the sunlighted patches on the green grass, to better simulate dappled light coming through high clouds. I'd try to make these subtle patches of lightening-up, not more than 15 to 20 percent tweaks.

Thanks for your advice!

I've brightened up the tree line which seemed dark indeed. Funny how I can oversee such things even though i've worked this image quite a bit now. So;

• I've added a bit of clarity until i started to notice a subtle effect of it (+8)
  • I've attempted to dodge the light falling on the grass
  • Brightened the mid-ground (tree line)
What do you think of the mid-ground area, better or overdone?

IMG_8257-1-4.jpg

I think the mid-ground area now has MUCH more presence, and almost makes the mountains look like a Hollywood background painting! it is quite amazing what lightening up those md-ground trees has done to the image. Personally, I think this latest incarnation is quite good.

Ah the perks of shooting RAW.
Anyway, thanks for your advice! I think i'm going to fine-tune the selection that brightened the trees to perfect it.

I might actually print this one.

Great shot, but the mountains don't look real -- might want to try dehazing a bit?

I just love this shot. I just got back from Washington state and did some shooting at Mount Rainier. I got some shots similar to this but I love this one.

Great shot, but the mountains don't look real -- might want to try dehazing a bit?

Thanks for your advice! I've selected the mountain with the brush tool and dehazed it (+45) and added some clarity (+38). Let me know what you think!

IMG_8257-1-5.jpg

I just love this shot. I just got back from Washington state and did some shooting at Mount Rainier. I got some shots similar to this but I love this one.

Thanks!

Thanks for sharing, it's beautiful
:)

a wonderful image indeed, my eye keeps getting drawn to the post at the bottom right, the image would benefit if that were cloned out ;) just a suggestion ;)

I agree, though cloning it out might proof difficult. Ill post an update if I am successful

I agree, though cloning it out might proof difficult. Ill post an update if I am successful
1pf.jpg

this took me about 2 minutes, had I taken my time you wouldn't be able to tell there was a post there to begin with ;) I only post this to point out these things can be done with a little practice ;)

Most reactions

Back