moving objects

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by ketan, Aug 19, 2007.

1. ketan

ketan TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi,
    I see sometimes pictures of a racing car in perfact focus and blurred background. How do you do that ? what are the settings?
    Thanks.:blushing:
    Ketan

2. hockeybear

hockeybear TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi,
    the technique is called panning, focus on the car as soon as it appears in your vision and keep it in your view finder as it gets closer. As it passes in front of you, press the shutter button while still following it in the view finder. The moving of the camera will blur the background, but the car will be sharp. You don't need a fast shutter speed because the car was static in the view finder. Experiment with slow speeds and you can get the car sharp and blur the wheels to give the impression of movement
    I hope I explained that well enough

Dave..

3. daybreak

daybreak TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Fast shutter speed. As fast as you can go.

4. Steph

Steph No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you use too fast a shutter speed, both the car and the background will be sharp, thus loosing the feeling of speed. Hockeybar described the technique perfectly. You need a fairly slow shutter speed, that will depend of the speed of the moving subject. Panning is not easy to master and requires to experiment a bit with different shutter speed.

5. daybreak

daybreak TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    aha thanks guys.

I have always thought that while panning you should use as fast a shutter speed as you can go. I should have read the post above me haha.

6. Dm3k1

Dm3k1 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am by no means an expert, but i agree with the first post as far as technique. If you are not in a position to do so is it POSSIBLE (I am a nooby when it comes to photography) to drop your f-stop so that you can boost the shutter speed thus capturing the motion and limited DOF (get the car and blur the background? Just a thought- please let me know if I am wrong

7. Steph

Steph No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It is not really possible to do it that way. The feeling of speed is given by the fact that the background is blurred due to the movement of the camera. The out-of focus background caused by a shallow depth of field looks completely different. Panning is really the technique to use to achieve this result.

8. Dm3k1

Dm3k1 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ^ I see what you mean. Thank You

9. LokiZ

LokiZ TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Like Steph said as well as others, the way we blur backgrounds for portraits with shallow DOF doesn't really pass on the feeling of speed or motion....

The effect of panning would be called a motion blur (meaning a blur that has direction) Where as the blur you get from a zoom lens set to a small number aperture is...well...just a blur.

motion blurs can be added during PP but it kind defeats the purpose as well as nothing quite beats a well done panning shot. Not to mention how good it makes you feel when you nail it.

10. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I won't completely post twice, but here is something I posted on another topic, and the link is http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90920 look for the keith204 post.

But here is what I wrote in one of them... These are an answer to somebody asking what techniques and settings I use.