Moving to FF, should I jump camps?

I am ready to take the plunge into FF. I'm not sure if i want to jump camps from Canon to Nikon. I need a little advice because my situation is not very straight forward.

Canon gear: 70D. Crop Lenses: Canon 10-18STM, Sigma 17-50 2.8.

FF Lenses: Tamron 70-300, Canon 50 1.8

Misc: Younguo Flash, Remote Triggers

My FF options are the Nikon D610, or the Canon 6D. The added options and higher dynamic range in the D610 sony sensor appeals to me. I gain wifi, & higher ISO in the 6D. I'm not crazy about the 9 point AF in it. I feel as if its a step back from my 70D.

With the Nikon budget I can get the D610 w/ 24 120 F4, & 50 1.8G.

With the Canon budget I can get the 6D w/ 24 105 F4 (+$100.00 over the Nikon setup) but I retain the 50 1.8, tamron, flash & triggers.

I shoot the family, action, low light, a little video, architectural photography, astrophotography.

Any advise will help.

I have used the D610 for about two weeks now and it has been a great camera..... the focus points are taking me a bit of getting used to going from my D7100 but nothing that's causing me to miss shots etc...FF for me was something I had to experience for myself to understand the benefits....and after shooting with one I can finally see what people have been talking about....my two cents I don't think you can go wrong with either set up.

The Canon side holds an advantage in quite a few lenses -- and especially in the most commonly used lenses like the 70-200mm f/2.8 and 24-70mm f/2.8.

I would say that this is possible in some areas but not in others, but there is definitely little to no advantage for Canon in the 70-200 and 24-70 ranges when the top lenses from each side shoot head to head. With the best variations of these lenses from both Nikon and Canon camps, the Nikon versions give results virtually identical.

I always like to add that for me, ANY lens comparison is pretty much inconclusive unless one adds the factor that leach lens has been optimized via focus adjustments done via computer/software to he camera that it is sitting on.

But the 70-200mm f/2.8 is especially interesting. The Nikon version has a strong "breathing" issue... as you focus closer, the focal range of the lens drops noticeably. At close focusing distances, the Nikon's focal length is only about 130mm... not the 200mm focal length you'd think you would be getting. Lens "breathing" is common and virtually all lenses do it -- at least to some degree. The Canon "breathes" too... at close focusing distances it's only about 195mm instead of 200mm. But Nikon's lens is back down at 130mm ... fully 1/3rd of it's focal length is lost.

I was considering switching to Nikon (the 750) earlier this year. Unfortunately some financial constraints popped up and I could not justify the switch. I will be waiting for the Pentax FF coming out later this year. Their cameras really seem to pack the best bang for the buck. And both Tamron, and Sigma make very good glass for them as well. The in body stabilization will make the buying of lighter cheaper lenses viable as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back