Mt. Wachussett-another foliage shot

stsinner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How's this one for composition and color? This is from Mt. Wachussett in Massachusetts. No pp was done, just reduced the size.

10_17_2009_3171-1.jpg

not to shabby at all... i mentioned to a few other people who were doing "foliage shots" that something I love to do when I'm involving nature, is to really try to pop the colors... if you mess around with your levels some, you should really be able to bring out the beautiful fall colors you've captured here.

for future reference... while it is a beautiful shot, the ski lift kills it some... perhaps you can clone out the cables (this is the same when there are things like power lines in the shots) for some reason, they just really stand out... to get rid of it on this photo would take quite a bit of photoshop work.... is it somewhere near your home?? perhaps you can go there again and try standing more to the right to get rid of the lift

Really? I thought that the ski lift being in the picture gave it character and also showed the steep angle.

Yeah I agree, there's no way to clone out the ski lift and it's the subject so why would you want to? You're horizon is way way off btw.

sorry i didnt think it was the subject.. the title of the thread is Foliage, not ski lift... that told me that the OP was trying to capture the beauty of the fall colors

Well, kind of both... A dormant ski lift shows that it's not winter yet, but the fall colors tell you that it's almost time to ride them again....

Its a very nice picture, however there are a few things that need to be tweaked. First off, the horizon is off. Second, the colors look slightly flat, and a CPL could've really made the sky better. Nothing a little CC can't fix.

Oh hey you're in MA like me. You should go in the get together forum and look for the bostonian thread. We're going to get together at SOME point. Let me know if you can't find it.

Very pretty foliage.

Oh hey you're in MA like me. You should go in the get together forum and look for the bostonian thread. We're going to get together at SOME point. Let me know if you can't find it.

Very pretty foliage.

Yeah, right! I'm not going to bring my D50 to a gathering where a bunch of D300's show up.... LOL

Yeah, right! I'm not going to bring my D50 to a gathering where a bunch of D300's show up.... LOL

hahah, oh I'm sure there are plenty of non-D300s in the group. Tell ya what, I'll bring my D100 instead! :)

i think you did a good job on the photo. personally, i like the ski lift. i think it adds a little more character to the photo and i think it gives it a good focus. --just my opinion.

I also like the ski lift being in the shot, and the way the cable runs diagonally up to the top right corner. The skewed horizon should be fixed, however. Beautiful fall colours in this one, and the curve of the lakeshore/blue waters adds a nice element

Yeah I'd realllly like this shot if it was level. Looks great anyway though. I just can't keep my eyes off the uneven horizon. I know you've heard it a few times by now so I'll drop it though hah.

As for the difference in opinion of the ski lifts being in or not, I'm thinking it might just be a compositional problem if we are uncertain as to if it's the focus or not or if it's just supposed to be a supplement to the foliage. Great stuff. Now go take more and show us those too. :p

Can someone fix the horizon for me and repost so I can see what all the hullabaloo is about... Thanks.

Sure thing. I had to cut off some stuff to keep the aspect ratio the same but here it is with a straight horizon.
10_17_2009_3171-1_HorizonFix.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back