Multi-Flash Hummingbirds

z06-jim

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Haven't been around for a while and just starting to get interested in multi-flash photography so I thought I would post a couple shots I took recently of some Hummingbirds on my deck.
I'm still experimenting and don't have a clue what I'm doing yet but I'm really enjoying playing around with it.
At the present time I'm using three Canon 580EXII flashes...two on stands as slaves and the other one on camera as the master flash...
The last photo shows my basic set-up...

5DII....300 IS 2.8 w/ 1.4Ex @ 420mm....f/5.0....1/8000 s.....800 ISO....HSS Flash

614563270_JTWBw-L.jpg

614562714_UtkRL-L.jpg

629048829_5KE68-L.jpg

621409723_7ZWYF-L.jpg

629207066_wCZWJ-L.jpg

absolutely stunning! great job! the sharpness and color are astounding. :D

Oh yes, I like this.... clarity, frozen wings/pose.

Good work, #4 is my favorite.

The bokeh on the first two I find a little distracting, just my personal taste :)

Cheers, Don

Those are awesome. Does the 5DII really support flash synch at 1/8000??

Nice work!!!

Nice set up. Cross lit strobist style and a WIMBERLEY mount SWEET.

Those are awesome. Does the 5DII really support flash synch at 1/8000??

He is using the focal plane mode on the flash, therefore the flash duration is around 1/200 long pulse the same amount of time the slit travels.

I think only a 580 on camera can controll this type set up with canon but possibly with the new ttl wizards also.

Not exactly beginner stuff.

Anyways, you may be better off shooting at 1/200 and exposing for the background and shooting at the lowest flash power possible. Here's the durations for the 580 at lower powers:

Manual at 1/128 power = 1/35,000 second +/- 25%
Manual at 1/64 power = 1/31,000 second +/- 25%
Manual at 1/32 power = 1/19,000 second +/- 25%
Manual at 1/16 power = 1/15,000 second +/- 25%

Much faster than the 1/8000 of the camera and would stop the motion of the wings, giving a clearer no blurred shot? Some guy did this with humming birds and it was picked up on Strobist.

Strobist: Winter Treat: Frozen Hummingbirds

they all look good but #4 is my favorite as well :)
everything about that picture is awesome.

btw thats a really nice patio :D

Village Idiot said:
Easy fix. Expose your background to your liking then set your strobe's power to expose your subject.

Oh, I do understand that.

It's just that my personal preference would be somewhere in the middle of z06-jim's shots :)

A dark background doesn't do the subject justice and somehow "feels" unnatural... IMO

Cheers, Don

Oh yes, I like this.... clarity, frozen wings/pose.
Good work, #4 is my favorite.
The bokeh on the first two I find a little distracting, just my personal taste :)
Cheers, Don
Much appreciated Don.....:cheers:...
I agree about the BG Bokeh in the first two myself....I've been experimenting with several different settings and techniques trying to come up with something decent....:scratch:

Don't have a clue about what I'm doing yet but sure is fun trying....:D

Most reactions

Back