Mum

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
DSC_8305.JPG

I...know what this is. You think people won't be able to tell? Lots to say here, so I hope you think on this one by yourself. It's more you than me.

Very nice indeed.

Wow! Absolutely stunning.

Beautiful! Well done! :thumbyo::thumbyo:

Love it, absolutely beautiful :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I...know what this is. You think people won't be able to tell? Lots to say here, so I hope you think on this one by yourself. It's more you than me.

Very nice indeed.

beautiful

Wow! Absolutely stunning.

Also nominated for POTM.

Beautiful! Well done! :thumbyo::thumbyo:

Thank you all very much, very encouraging.

This looks really amazing, what did you take this with?

Thank you very much. I used a 35mm prime at the minimum focus distance to give it a little distortion in order to enhance a 3D affect.

Black velvet blanket background, 100W 5200K bulb directly overhead with aluminum reflector. Settings; D3300, 35mm 1.8g, Tripod with wireless remote, Focus mode AF-S, Normal AF area mode, Center weighted metering, f/16, 1/2s, Manual Exposure, ISO100, Auto White Balance.

Reactions: Zil
Excellent execution and conversion!

Thank you sir, that means a lot coming from you. I am starting to find my groove along this journey. I really like shooting in studio so now I am saving up for proper lighting gear to shoot people. However, @Derrel gave me the idea using a 100w 5200K bulb to point at the eyes to get pupils smaller when doing portraits, and I am very happy with it to light a single flower. It was a work around because I am using speed lights. I also have read (several times) the light-book you recommended.

It's going to be a while before I get the lighting as I just bought the wife a new vehicle. I have found a studio I can rent locally and I am waiting for a call back from an instructor who is going to hold my hand for $50 bucks an hour, minimum 4 hours of instruction, plus the studio rental cost. He also will help me with setting up the film camera's (Agfa Isolette II, Nikon F, and Canon T70) Hopefully the book you recommended and what I absorbed will come together during these sessions.

Very good visualisation and conversion to B&W. But if I may offer an alternative for thought and consideration?

Why a pure black background? It's dead and offers you nothing except an un-natural transition from the delicate flower. You may say for maximum contrast, then I say you've placed it against the light grey background of the web page and so lessened the contrast. So what if you used a slightly 'lighter' black for the background and placed it against a white ground (or border). You would maintain the contrast against the background of the web page and have a smoother transition between the flower and the background. I offer the edit as an example only, but look at it and tell me that you don't see the background as black. If you use absolute black you set the range, you declare that this is the contrast. You also set a range that can look un-natural and be difficult to print. Use slightly off black and it looks more natural, is easier to print and looks the same as black? Burnt Umber, look at paintings and this is what you'll see, not black. Just food for thought. ;)

mod-1.jpg

Very good visualisation and conversion to B&W. But if I may offer an alternative for thought and consideration?

Why a pure black background? It's dead and offers you nothing except an un-natural transition from the delicate flower. You may say for maximum contrast, then I say you've placed it against the light grey background of the web page and so lessened the contrast. So what if you used a slightly 'lighter' black for the background and placed it against a white ground (or border). You would maintain the contrast against the background of the web page and have a smoother transition between the flower and the background. I offer the edit as an example only, but look at it and tell me that you don't see the background as black. If you use absolute black you set the range, you declare that this is the contrast. You also set a range that can look un-natural and be difficult to print. Use slightly off black and it looks more natural, is easier to print and looks the same as black? Burnt Umber, look at paintings and this is what you'll see, not black. Just food for thought. ;)

View attachment 124112
I have actually been considering different backgrounds. Black is all I have at this time. I am on it and agree but I am just not there yet, soon.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back