Muslin backdrops on the cheap

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't know if they will agree.. But I have been using it for about 2 months now.. and I've had no problems as of yet. And it does come with a 12 month warranty.

skyonfire said:
I don't know if they will agree.. But I have been using it for about 2 months now.. and I've had no problems as of yet. And it does come with a 12 month warranty.

Can I see any of your pics?

look up any of my posts in the portrait and wedding gallery.. or pm me and I can send em to ya..

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Starlite said:
what is a good size to get? I mean, I'm sure this depends, but can someone give me a standard size that most normally works?

Also, can you tell what the cheap backgrounds problems are? I'd like to know what to be careful of....

for example, if they are "thin", what problem is caused by that? (I'm a total newbie)

I use a 10'X20' backdrop, and personally, I wish it were a bit wider.

Starlite said:
wow, that seems like an L of a deal!

i wonder if the veterans agree?

Stay away! Low powered lights, warranty is less the light tubes, and it only mentions modeling bulb replaceable. The lights only have half and full power settings. They list a range of light value (5100K to 5500K) which indicates they don't put out a consistant light (could be the half / full setting?).

If you want to save money buy cheaper stands and accessories on ebay. But at least get a decent light. Not saying pay a fortune, but does buying a really cheap light and saving $50-$100 better than getting a better unit that is more consistant and can be adjusted (power levels) and fixed by you (replaceable light tube)?

I have inexpensive no name lights from ebay, but they are not bottom of the barrel cheap ones.

Starlite said:
what is a good size to get? I mean, I'm sure this depends, but can someone give me a standard size that most normally works?

Also, can you tell what the cheap backgrounds problems are? I'd like to know what to be careful of....

for example, if they are "thin", what problem is caused by that? (I'm a total newbie)

I will start with thin. I cannot leave my backdrop stands up all the time, nor the room to have everyone on its own bar. So I have to get out what I want to use and when done put it away. The thiner ones will have less of a longevity. Also they seem to wrinkle more.

Size really deppends on what you are taking a picture of. Head or full bust shots you might get away with a 6'x9' (smallest ones I have seen). But for full on body shots, you will need a longer muslin to not only go up the wall but also cover the floor (if you want same for wall and floor).

Width deppends on how large the item is or if its a family. Have to remember the lens works on angles (say 24 deg view). Your background needs to cover the lens view. The further away the camera is from the background the wider it needs to be.

benhasajeep said:
Stay away! Low powered lights, warranty is less the light tubes, and it only mentions modeling bulb replaceable. The lights only have half and full power settings. They list a range of light value (5100K to 5500K) which indicates they don't put out a consistant light (could be the half / full setting?).

If you want to save money buy cheaper stands and accessories on ebay. But at least get a decent light. Not saying pay a fortune, but does buying a really cheap light and saving $50-$100 better than getting a better unit that is more consistant and can be adjusted (power levels) and fixed by you (replaceable light tube)?

I have inexpensive no name lights from ebay, but they are not bottom of the barrel cheap ones.

Thanks!!

I'm still researching, and I guess I better continue that, before I make any further purchases... ;)

benhasajeep said:
I will start with thin. I cannot leave my backdrop stands up all the time, nor the room to have everyone on its own bar. So I have to get out what I want to use and when done put it away. The thiner ones will have less of a longevity. Also they seem to wrinkle more.

Size really deppends on what you are taking a picture of. Head or full bust shots you might get away with a 6'x9' (smallest ones I have seen). But for full on body shots, you will need a longer muslin to not only go up the wall but also cover the floor (if you want same for wall and floor).

Width deppends on how large the item is or if its a family. Have to remember the lens works on angles (say 24 deg view). Your background needs to cover the lens view. The further away the camera is from the background the wider it needs to be.

Thanks benhasajeep! That helps.:mrgreen:

Ok now I'm REALLY confused............... and kinda tripped out, because I JUST started browsing on Ebay, and came across Backdrop Outlet Store on Ebay!!!

and their backdrops there, some are under 20 bucks!!

can someone tell me what warrants the HUGE difference in price, between a backdrop of 20 bucks, and a backdrop of 150 bucks?

Most reactions

Back