"Must do better!"

PlasticSpanner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cheshirecatcarclub.info
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Honest critique please. I would like to get very pleasing and interesting shots of these RC Cars for my club website and promotion posters but I need more experience/guidence!

I would like to know
1/ If the photo arouses any interest in the subject.
2/ Does it look right? (i.e colours, position etc)
3/ what can I do next time to get a better shot?

Completely unedited image & I have little knowledge of composition (only had a "decent" camera for the last couple of months!)

volvos409dt.jpg

Mant thanks for your time.

p.s the image is on the site ATM with a couple of others but are quite small so they don't look too horrific! Just in case!.....

The whites are WAY blown out. That means you metered it to the pavement(or a very dark spot on your photo) and the whites then in turn went way too bright.
The composition is great, it would look a bit better if there was some room up on top instead of cutting off the antenna.

Also, there is camera shake... it's not as crisp as it could be.

Those are just some things to think about. :thumbup:

Yes it was metered on the tarmac before the car arrived! That would explain why the wheels look awfull! :thumbup: Next time I'll use the white kerb to get a light reading! Thanks!

I can't use a tripod as the cars move so quickly and change position every time! I know I'll have to practice & perfect steady tracking! :thumbup:

i wouldnt use the white curb either. that would probably underexpose it. might want to think about metering somewhere in between.

m

PlasticSpanner said:
I can't use a tripod as the cars move so quickly and change position every time! I know I'll have to practice & perfect steady tracking! :thumbup:

Can't you wait until they stop? :scratch:

I like the idea and would actually like to see where you take this type of photography. Like I usually say, most people in the world see everything from over three feet...why don't you try shooting some of these from ground level or at least a little lower than kneeling (it looks like you were in a kneeling position or sitting from the angle of the shot) I don't know if you're shooting digital or film but if you are using digital, try shooting in the raw mode and metering off the curb so you can adjust the exposure after the fact. If you're not, I'd try different ways of shooting manual until you find a happy medium so the whites aren't blown out. Very interesting subject and I really would like to see how your style progresses/changes in the future.

I was kneeling on the inside of the corner just after the exit! This was taken on film and is 1 of 5 shots of the cars as they came through but this one hit the kerb just right! :D I have tried photographing them from nearly ground level but find it very difficult to follow the cars as they don't always take the same line (unprofessional drivers!) and I can't move so fast on my belly & elbows! The cars are going at approximately 25-30 mph round this particular corner!

I could ask them to stop to pose for a photo but I think they would ignore me! :lmao:

Would it work to take a reading off the kerb and the tarmac and take an average between the 2?

I also have this one which is nice & sharp but got the corner wrong & ended up heading straight for me albeit much slower which is why the nose is almost cut off!

Can I crop this anywhere so I can still use it? Feel free to re-post examples!

citreonwrc6yi.jpg

yea i would definately suggest taking a photo while a car is not moving.

the second one has better light and i htink if you had the hwole car in the frame it would be great

good luck!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back