rdompor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It's a bad thing.

It started last night. I was shooting the Rutgers Soup Bowl for the paper on campus. I had with me my 30D, 35-350 f/3.5-5.6, 200mm f/2.8, and 17-85 f/4-5.6. I started with the 350 while the light was good. About 10 shots in, I get Error 99's. I figure it was the lens contacts or somethings so i played with removing/mounting the lens, but to no avail. I switched to the 200, got the same thing, and decided it was a camera problem. I then proceeded to restore the factory settings - didn't work. I decided to try a sensor clean which surprisingly seemed to have done the trick. I began shooting away.

During the game, I noticed (while chimping :blushing:) that my exposures were slightly brighter than normal and weren't consistent despite using the same exact settings. I brushed it off.

This morning, I was playing around with the 17-85 in my house. I shot two shots. Both of them were at ISO3200 f/4 1/6. One is slightly underexposed and the other is uselessly overexposed.

Is my shutter dying? I bought the camera refurbished from B&H earlier this year (summer). Please help. This is my only camera and I need it for my newspaper work as well as enjoyment.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help.

1 - Are you 100% sure that in both pictures you KNEW what you were metering against?

2 - I doubt the shutter is dying, you could hear the difference in shutter speed to detect such a difference.

3 - You still have a warranty with it? I might consider sending it in, once I was 100% sure that I understood how that camera metered and it was not me making the mistake.

I used the manual exposure mode, metered with spot metering and aimed at exactly the same area. Lighting was constant. I fired multiple shots in high-speed continuous shooting mode. I'm fairly certain that the camera is malfunctioning.

Thanks for the help anyway.
:(

have you tried center weighted or matrix for this test?

spot metering is so finite... if the camera had mechanical problems it should show in wide area metering formats like center weighted...

and can you post some examples with the exif not blocked?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back