My 365 Project

All creepiness aside, fun or otherwise, I am going to make a suggestion: Time to start shooting stuff with more "meat" to the subject. You are getting a bit repetitive with the frames, double entendres, montages, etc. At some point, I'd like to see well constructed photos where, while you are an integral part of a scene, you don't necessarily dominate the scene. If you are into filmmaking, look carefully at how Hitchcock constructed a scene which either led into the main character, or allowed the main character a reasonable exit. In North by Northwest, look at how the airplane scene sets up, unfolds and ends and you'll start to get an idea of what I am suggesting.

I think at this point, 49 +/- days into your project, you're beginning to stagnate and it was to be expected. This is not an admonishment as much as a suggestion to get on with it. One suggestion might be to recreate some of Hitchcock's scenes, genre, action, lighting, POV. Lots of great shots could be constructed from Rear Window, The Birds, Vertigo, etc. Just an opinion and I am quite pleased to see you staying with the project with decent diligence. I just see more to you than Photoshop trickery.

Thanks everyone, and ceeboy14, I agree completely. I really want to shoot stuff other than what I've been doing. I don't know if I'm just using time and what not as an excuse, but I've got to change something soon, because I'm getting bored with this white background photoshop crap, and if I'M getting bored with it, then you all must be too.

68/365

Untitled by DavidOsswald, on Flickr

I've only been on the forum for a short time but this is some of the most entertaining material I've seen yet. I think some folks here cringe a bit at the overuse of photoshop, but I'm of the mind that there are several paths one can take to create a digital image. It doesn't matter if it's a photo right out of an expensive camera with a minor curves adjustment, or an abstract marvel of post hoc pixel manipulation; if it's interesting to look at, it's a creative success in my books.

It's one thing to come up with a neat-o result from time to time, but this guy's demonstrated ability to dream up these wacky concepts on a daily basis is damn impressive, at least to me.

David (I assume that's your name), you've obviously got a quirky vision for your project so just stick to it unapologetically. The moment you start letting criticism dictate your creative choices is the moment your project loses its soul!

Great work!

I've only been on the forum for a short time but this is some of the most entertaining material I've seen yet. I think some folks here cringe a bit at the overuse of photoshop, but I'm of the mind that there are several paths one can take to create a digital image. It doesn't matter if it's a photo right out of an expensive camera with a minor curves adjustment, or an abstract marvel of post hoc pixel manipulation; if it's interesting to look at, it's a creative success in my books.

It's one thing to come up with a neat-o result from time to time, but this guy's demonstrated ability to dream up these wacky concepts on a daily basis is damn impressive, at least to me.

David (I assume that's your name), you've obviously got a quirky vision for your project so just stick to it unapologetically. The moment you start letting criticism dictate your creative choices is the moment your project loses its soul!

Great work!

And while on the surface I agree with your responses, my take comes from working with students on AP projects for a long time. Initially, there is a great burst of creativity, but somewhere about a 1/3 into the project (and most of their projects consisted of 28 images broken into two groups, one a breadth of study, the scond a concentraton of one or more aspects of the breadth), i found them walking in circles. The burst of energy was from a lack of preplanning. They had an idea and jumped on it without having a decent conclusion. Kind of like writing a novel without knowing how it's supposed to end...so in the end, it just never quite fits. The artist soon becomes bored with his/her own work and shuts down.

I really don't want to see David get that left foot nailed to the floor, but rather want to see him take his project into a newer more meaty direction. I made suggestions based on his desire to go into filmamking, but hey, he's talented enough to take it wherever he wants except for me, to continue on this sameo-sameo track of photoshop hocus pocus, is to die a slow death from a self-inflicted wound and I think from his last comment, he knows this. It is up to us viewers to prod him along, to push his creativity in directions perhaps he's not comfortable with, to again explore his line of concentration. Just an opinion.

One last comment. You should never let criticism dictate your creative chioces, but you should also never let criticism go unnoticed, challenged or explored. One rarely grows without outside influence be it rain or fertilizer.

One last comment. You should never let criticism dictate your creative chioces, but you should also never let criticism go unnoticed, challenged or explored. One rarely grows without outside influence be it rain or fertilizer.

I agree that criticism should be acknowledged and explored, but not necessarily heeded in every circumstance.

When you get to a point where you obviously know what you're doing--as this artist has--the criticism from others starts to become less and less about "mentoring" on fundamentals, and more about simple differences in artistic vision. Since art is purely subjective, criticism rooted in the latter is of limited value.

My feeling is that, when doing a project like this, the idea isn't to have every last person in the audience think it's perfect, the idea is to lock in to a personal vision, see it through to its end, then step back and say "this is me... I made this, take it or leave it, but I'm proud of it. Now... on to the next one!"

I'm quite new to photography, but my philosophy here stems from years of writing and recording music. In that medium, the best results always come when you do what comes naturally to you. When you "bend" as an artist and try to be all things to all people, you ultimately end up being nothing to everybody. I think the same applies in a visual art project like this, but that's just my take.

70/365

Untitled by DavidOsswald, on Flickr

not sure which version i liked more. What do you guys think? The one I posted above, or:

Fixed Horizon:
$Day 70 level.jpg

Original:
$Day 70 original .jpg

Last edited:
thanks rexbobcat! One more question, how do you know where to point your camera to get the milky way in the middle like that? (I know it's all technically the milky way, but I don't know what else to call it)

I call it the milky way :) If you can't see it with your naked eye you're probably going to have too much light pollution to be able to get a good photograph of it. You'll want to get away from the city lights and shoot before/after the moon is up or around the new moon. Also the further you get from the horizon the darker the sky is. If you want to know when and where in the sky you'll be able to see the milky way check out the free open-source program Stellarium. It's out every night though and pretty easy to find if it is dark enough.

There's a great article on this forum about photographing the stars: Shooting Night pictures of stars (and stuff)

If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask, there is a lot of knowledge on this forum!

Nice work by the way, I just went through your thread and your pictures made me smile on several occasions. Keep up the good work.

Thanks bc_steve!

And which picture are you talking about Rocco? Any reason why you're not happy with it or any suggestions on how I could improve it?
Thanks!

Had spare time in a yearbook today, so I went and shot stuff with my friend Dustin. I was using the schools camera (nikon) which I'm not using to using (I shoot on a Canon), so I wasn't too pleased with most of the shots. I'll be bringing my gear to school Thursday to reshoot stuff with him.
71/365
​Untitiled by DavidOsswald, on Flickr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back