My camera is doing something VERY strange...

Stormy_TX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, I'm Cindy and I'm new here... in fact, this problem brought me to you. I have a Casio Exilim 10.1 mega pixel and it is my second one of this exact camera. My second one just did this morning, after having it a year, what I took the first one back for.

I've joked for a while now that our house is *haunted*, lol! (We built it 7 years ago so I *think* I can safely say *joke*!) Well, my cameras are beginning to make me wonder.

This morning, I decided to catch a few shots of myself to use in my graphics work in another group I'm in. Out of maybe 10 shots, at least 4 of them are in directions the camera was NOT aimed. One of them was directly BEHIND the direction it was pointed. One was off to one side, one was aimed down, one was aimed up... my hand would have had to have been disco dancing to have caught these shots.

Now, while I'm sure it's questionable at times :)-P) I'm NOT crazy! What on earth can be going on? There is no way I moved my hand THAT much, lol, a little blur is understandable, but a totally different direction?? Has anyone else ever had this happen???

Thanks!!

Hi and welcome to TPF.

About your question: :scratch: Could you post the pictures? If you don't know how, read this.

I will... I'm at work, I'll have to load them and then resize them... I'll be back in a few with them!

This is to the extreme side of the camera and at about a 45 degree angle from the way the camera was 'turned' (camera was aimed straight on at me)
CIMG1154.jpg

This was directly BEHIND the camera which, again, was aimed straight at me
CIMG1155.jpg

Again, directly BEHIND the camera and cocked at a strange angle
CIMG1156.jpg

CIMG1160.jpg

To the side again, but cocked at a different angle...
CIMG1161.jpg

Each time these shots were taken, the camera was aimed directly at me as in this pic ...
CIMG1162.jpg

Redeye reduction is turned on, how slow is the redeye reduction with this camera? Redeye reduction flashes once supposedly to cause your subjects pupils to shrink, then flashes again and takes the picture. I am guessing that you are seeing the first flash and thinking the camera took the picture and moving the camera when it actually does take the image.

Take a picture and notice how many times the flash goes off. Wait for the second flash, that is when the camera is taking the photo. Try that and see what happens.

I agree with mrodgers. Clearly the camera was moving in those images, you must have moved it after the flash went off not realizing it was the red eye flashing. Put it on a tripod or table, set the timer, stand back and wait at least 10 seconds after the flash so that you can be sure that you got the shot.
It is physically impossible that the camera took pictures from behind.

I wish that was it, but it isn't. With this Casio, it's really easy to tell when it actually takes the picture. Also, with some of these shots, I'd have to take the picture then immediately turn the camera away from me... I didn't look at any of the pics until I'd taken them all. =\

A camera records an image from light that comes in through the lens...it seems to me impossible that it could take an image out the back of it. So therefore, the lens must not have been pointed at you when the image was recorded.

Now, the problem seems to be that the camera isn't recording the image at the same time that you are pressing the button. This isn't unheard of with many digital cameras....they often have a 'shutter lag' in the time between when you press the button and when it records the image. Part of the problem is that it takes time for the camera to auto focus.

Im thinking that most point and shoots have a delay from when you click the button and when it actually takes the picture. So maybe you clicked it and thought it took your picture and then move the camera and thats when it really took the image.

Clearly you have Satan's point & shoot, I'd put it on ebay as such for $666 and see who bids :thumbup:

This is all very hilarious. I don't know what I'd do if my camera started malfunctioning so badly it shot photos out the back of it.

As stated, it's got to be the shutter delay that's giving you time to press the shutter and turn the camera around prematurely. It's just got to be that.

could it also be that you have the shutter timer on as well?
least that would account for increased time between pressing the shutter button and the camera actualy taking the photo

But then again, who knows when it comes to electronics? maybe it does have a life of its own. My Cell phone was doing weird things last week. It was dialing numbers and taking pictures all by itsself too.

lol, I dunno... I swear I didn't move it those directions but we'll see if it does it any more... I promise to watch it "vewwwwy, vewwwwwwwwy cwosewy"!!!

Most reactions

Back