My CS3 won't open my D300's raw

BRABUS27

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Help! How come I can't open my D300's NEF file? I used the same CS3 to open my D70s' NEF file and it was fine. It says "it is not the right document" or something.
What other programs are good for RAW processing?

This has been asked many many times....just swap out D300 for whatever camera is new.

Each camera's RAW files are different and you need to have the latest version of Adobe Camera RAW to open them.

Go to Adobe.com and download the latest ACR and you should be good to go.

The ability to open any RAW file format for new cameras must be added to any third party software. Adobe will have an upgrade if they don't already. This is why Nikon supplied Nikon Capture NX with the first several runs of the D300 and D3. You most likely have it on a disk supplied with your camera.

O right haha that was dumb of me. Sorry for not searching first. Thanks a lot though.

As an aside about Nikon Capture NX...I heard somewhere that if you use that you might as well be using the in camera processing because it is exactly the same.

As an aside about Nikon Capture NX...I heard somewhere that if you use that you might as well be using the in camera processing because it is exactly the same.

I do virtually all of my post processing in NX, it is not even slightly like using the in camera processing.

The Nik control point software is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Yes, I can do the same effects (generally) in PS but it takes a LOT longer, and masks, and layers, and blah blah blah.

My first PS was version 3 "back in the day", and I am actually pretty quick using it... most corrections still take me 1/10th the time to do in NX as PS.

Where I shift to PS is when I need to do pixel level editing, cloning, etc.

I am not a huge post processing kind of guy in the first place... I only do it when I NEED to do it, but when I NEED to do it I do 90+ percent in NX.

Thanks for the clarification...
To be more precise, I heard that if you let it pick its own settings, the WB etc end up looking just like if you shot jpegs with auto WB on, for example.
I wasn't talking about using any of the in camera tools like d-lighting or anything like that.

Most reactions

Back