My experiment with 600 manipulation

patriciao82173

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
1)Had no problem with the film going into the SX-70 (used the "dark slide" method).
2)I used an available polarizer to reduce the amount of light. First shot was still over-exposed. Second shot I darkened using the exposure control(on the camera itself completely black) and it was fine.
-A more accurate representation of what the film might can actually do would probably be better from a 600 film camera.

3)Noticable color difference(but could be because of many factors including 1. time of day and 2. polarizer instead of neutral density) The colors in the SX-70 were much cooler and the 600 much warmer. In my opinion somewhere in between the two is an accurate real life picture.
4)Manipulation: when I normally try to "outline" I usually get much more white with SX-70 and with 600 there is a lot more black in the outlining(still some white but mostly black) Much more color shifting the blue-green color actually changed to orange when I began trying to make "painterly looking motions" also mild painterly look seems to be impossible to recreate. I'll be putting the two comparisons up on my photo blog at http://photographybypatricia.blogspot.com/ in a bit.
-Patricia

Hi Patricia - I will look forward to seeing them.

Kudos to you for trying to manipulate the 600; from all I've read, the Time Zero film was the only emulsion that could be manipulated in any satisfactory way. Now, I'm curious!

Welcome to the forum! :)

Not bad! :) I like the black outline effect.

Were you able to actually push the emulsion around like with Time Zero?

The demise of that film is indeed one of the saddest things to happen for me in many a moon!

patriciao82173 said:
I don't feel that the emulsion is "pushable" as time zero is. Sad I know.
I didn't expect it would be. :( I'm still waiting for someone to re-invent the stuff (Fuji, maybe?) charge us an outrageous amount and make everyone happy. :mrgreen:

My problem is with THREE kids here ages 4mo to 5 I now have to find some other process I can do that I don't feel is too "dangerous" for them to be around. I'm considering infrared and handcoloring but we'll just have to wait and see. Time is the problem. Limited amount of time that I have alone.

patriciao82173 said:
My problem is with THREE kids here ages 4mo to 5 I now have to find some other process I can do that I don't feel is too "dangerous" for them to be around. I'm considering infrared and handcoloring but we'll just have to wait and see. Time is the problem. Limited amount of time that I have alone.
Time - or lack thereof - is a lifelong problem. ;) I can't help ya much there, with 3 little ones who need their Mom. :heart: BUT - I can help advise you with different ways/approaches to hand coloring that you might find helpful. Have you done much hand coloring the traditional way?

mysteryscribe said:
ah i have just one word for you "Paper Negatives." Sorry I can't count all that well.
hey!! Quit trying to influence her. She said "hand coloring" and "infrared". :mrgreen: I get to go first.

:lmao: You two are hilarious.
:hugs: OH how I needed that.

Hand Coloring I have used Marshalls oils, pencils and also pens. I think it depends on the actual photo as to what might be best but I would really like to dig more into the oils.

Paper negatives: aka photograms? mmm I can smell the developer already(not really set up to do that here) I do have 1) 8x10 tray that I bought for doing emulsion lifts and some tongs. How cheap or expensive is that now?

Most reactions

Back