My first attempt at light painting - Need some help!

GTHill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I got a chance to try out light painting. There seems to be two separate types of light painting. I'm referring to taking a long exposure in complete darkness while using a flashlight on the subject to selectively light.

Looking at the picture in 3x5 or something relatively small no real errors can be found, but when shown even on the size of a monitor, it becomes apparent that there are problems.

D300
ISO 200
30 second exposure
Long exposure noise reduction: on
f/5.6

So again, here is the technique. Completely dark room (ok I noticed later a light from a power switch). Open the shutter, then use a flashlight to selectively light the subject.

Here is the problem. The photo looks like it was shot at super high ISO and is very pixelated.

Ok, something weird. When I view the picture in a web browser it looks much better (not good). If you don't mind, save the picture and open it in some other type of program. When I open it in Elements or CS4 is looks much worse. The blacks look much better on the web than in CS4. What's up with that??

a%3E
shot.jpg

Thanks!

GT

I can only see the 2nd picture, the first one doesn't show for me.

You'll still get noise if you under-expose your image considerably, even on the lowest ISO setting.

Furthermore, when light painting at a long exposure, you have to ensure the item you are painting is 100% still otherwise it too may come up as blurry anyways.

Although it appears you may not have nailed the focus more than anything.

That's just what i'm seeing.

Before you start painting your arm, or a moving subject, try painting the articles in the room, i.e. a chair, the wall. Get your static items properly exposed before you move to light-painting with people.

Thanks a lot for the advice. There is only supposed to be one picture; sorry if I mistyped.

I was going for a low light look, but I guess it just wasn't nearly enough. Compared to what I have seen in print and on the web mine had a lot less light.

Thanks again and I'll keep trying!

GT

You have got quite a few hot pixels, try looking at your Long exposure noise reduction setting. Also, make sure focus is on, light it up, and manual focus if you have to.

Most reactions

Back