My First DSLR/Lens question

jimiismydaddy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright so I have about $1000 US for a camera. My main question is, should I spend it on something like the XTi and just get the kit lens and some memory and ill pretty much be done, or get something like the Nikon D40 and buy one or two good lenses, some memory, and maybe have a few bucks left for misc?

I'm getting into shooting the local music groups in the area, so I need a good camera to catch action in sometimes low light situations. From what I read, the Canon seems to be the better way to go for action, True?

I like taking shots of wildlife so I figured a telephoto lens would be smart.

I actually went and held the D40, D50, D70, D80 tonight at a Wolf Camera, but they were out of all the Canons. After holding the 40, the other Nikons just dont seem attractice, they are so much heavier lol.

Read something about the D40 not having a motor for AF on the lenses? I'm really use to AF so I wouldnt be able to use that on the D40 right?

Thanks for the help.

My only suggestion is that when you look at kit cameras, take a good look at the lens that comes with it. Sometimes they're very good lenses at a very good deal, but sometimes they're not so great lenses. Just pay attention to the details. I won't give you a suggestion as to Canon or Nikon because I'm a Minolta fan (so I guess that makes me a Sony fan too).

Im open to any brand under $1000 if anyone has a good suggestion.

As I said, I'm now a Sony fan. Check into the A100. I think you can get one kit with a 18-55 lens for around $750 and another kit with a 18-200 lens for around $950. Most of the kits I've seen at these prices have the AF DT lenses -- really good stuff. Just look up the prices for those lenses by themselves, you'll see that the camera kit is a pretty good deal. I think the body alone is going for around $650. It's a good camera overall, very comparable to the XTi or the D80.

My suggestion is to go into a camera store and hold them all. Get the one that feels best in your hands.

and it depends on what you want your DSLR for. If quality picture is what you're after, buy a less-costly body and equip it with better lenses would be my suggestion.

I'm a canon guy, but from what ive read the d40 is a good camera, especially for beginners. I dont think it matters a lot if you pick canon or nikon, both are very similar, and in my opinion, superior to the other brands. Here's what i'd do:

- Get the D40
- Get the kit lens with it, 18-55 or whatever
- get a nice size memory card, 2gb at least
- get a 35mm or 50mm prime, fast like 1.8 or 1.4. this will help you learn valuable things like composition and DOF. very important.
- get a TRIPOD! I'm a huge believer in a tripod, even a $50 tripod will help with photos so much. Anything that is remotely dark or will require long sh utter speeds, use the tripod.

if you have any money left, you can always save it, or buy some filters, maybe buy an external flash, etc. but this setup should put you well on your way to figuring out the d40. once you save up some more money, you might look at replacing the kit lens with something a little nicer, maybe getting a bigger zoom if you find the kit isnt long enough.

Regarding the AF, i believe that its only the older lenses that are not AF-S that the d40 will not focus with. So anything RELATIVELY new should work fine.

Most reactions

Back