My first DSLR pictures. Any C&C welcom and appreciated.

1limited92

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took ALOT of pics of random stuff around the house when I got my new D5000. Most are shot with the 18-55 kit lens and these are a few of the better ones I came up with scrolling through and trying settings and such.

4230610968_ddcebd6224_b.jpg

4229798375_906be2da81.jpg

4229796839_d3f6de6369.jpg

4229793569_1151ececd6.jpg

4230554874_2682e3cd92.jpg

4229783647_2305132e4e.jpg

i really like the perspective on the r2d2 picture, the white balance seems off a bit though.

im confused i like your pics but for those who say these are photographs well then i think mine are to these look like snapshots to me except the flower, but it's to dark

The R2D2 shot would be improved if you didnt center him in the frame. Read up on composition such as rules of thirds.
You could of placed him off to the left, thus cutting that empty / dead space, and still keeping the nice DOF with the tree in the back
Flowers again are dead center, doesnt help the image. It also seems like popup flash, which is not a pleasing look in 90% of situations

For future posts, keep it to around 3-4 images, put spaces between them and number each one. Makes CC easier

Well looks like they are sharp decent color and exposure, I guess that is what you were going for, so you are headed in the right direction.

try some different angles alot of what you see here is just common "oh looking down see that dont care" angles

#1. subject is centered as someone else pointed out. Also the background is really distracting.

#2 and 3 are sharp, but snapshotish

#4 best shot of the set. Good depth of field and interesting subject

#5 Centered and distracting background, lighting is also uneven, looks like on-camera flash perhaps...

#6 Better exposure in this one, but to keep from casting hard white light from the flash onto the subject, try wrapping a piece of tissue around your flash with a rubber band to diffuse the light. Busy background too...

Good start and keep shooting. The best thing you can do is know your camera and what it is capable of, so make sure to read the manual too. I'm a tad harsh on distracting backgrounds, particularly because that is an area I struggle with when shooting. I always forget to be aware of what is going on in the background... Anyway, keep shooting, and keep posting...

I really appreciate the feedback everybody and I will keep it all in mind the next pictures I take and post. One reason for the busier backgrounds is due to the fact the weather was nasty on the day I got it so I was just walking around the house looking for stuff to snap pictures of regardless of what was behind it. LOL Again thanks for the comments and maybe next time all do a little touch up via PS before I post them next time. THANKS!

I actually have 2 suggestions, one is one that has been mentioned already, and that's to try to avoid centering subjects as much as possible. The second, comes from pic number 4 (the "self-portrait" in the ornament). I notice the grip you are using on your camera. Whether you're left or right handed, there's one right way to hold a camera (specifically a DSLR).

The right hand holds the grip (obviously). The left hand should be under the camera with your palm up. The meat of your palm is where the camera body should rest, and your fingers should be on the lens itself (so you can adjust zoom/focus, etc). You have your left hand basically on top of your lens with your palm facing down. This really is bad for stability. You really want the camera resting on your palm, or you're going to have a tough time with hand holding, especially with slower shutter speeds.

Most reactions

Back