My first green screen shoot

inTempus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had a model approach me about doing a shoot for him. He wanted to do a theme shoot from the movie Constantine. He found me on Model Mayhem and contacted me due to my ability to shoot dark themed images. I thought it presented a unique opportunity, so I bought the green screen and scheduled the shoot. He had to come from a state away (Michigan) so I had time to plan things out.

Here's one of the shots and the final edit from that shoot.

Before:

661238872_mvRwr-L.jpg

After:

661150011_frFox-L.jpg

Thoughts?

I think it came out pretty good. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the distortion in his tattoo from the editing compared the the first. It seems like he wants to focus the shot around the tattoo and when it gets blurred like that you can't really tell what it's supposed to be (if you haven't seen the original).

Good point. The decision to blur the tattoo was made to 1) show motion and 2) mask the imperfection of the ink/drawing. We went to a tattoo parlor and had them draw the tattoo on a piece of carbon paper. Then we used deodorant (speed stick) to paste it to his arm and rub the transfer to his arm. Then with a sharpie it took about 30 minutes to draw the tattoos on. In the end they looked drawn on. <shrug>

I may work on it some more.

Thanks for the feedback.

Ok, here's the re-edit.

661285351_zfqvr-L.jpg

Given that you are using photoshop for the background, I don't think it would have been wrong to photoshop the tattoo onto his arm for this.

I prefer the version where the tats on the arm are slightly blurred. It feels like the left side of the picture needs to be cropped off, just a small amount, like 1/8 inch on my screen,or to have the subject moved over to the let a tiny amount.

On the re-edit, the small type giving your web address is MUCH more easily readable than in the first version.

The background looks freakin' awesome! If there is one nit to pick, it might be his black pants and his shirt tails--that black area doesn't quite "read" right. Is he wearing pants? Where is his belt or waist? Something's not quite coming together there.

Great shot... for the record i liked the blurred version better.. and didnt even notice the tats were drawn on, until you mentioned it that is.. Great work!

Now seeing it, I think I do like the look of the first better. It shows more motion which I know that's what you're going for.
I guess I just don't understand the movie! lol

You guys are killing me! :)

Derrel, thanks for the feedback. I'll tinker with the shirt stuff and see if I can clean that up a bit.

Well first look the first one is awesome. I like how its blurred in the front with the tat. Kinda gives you a force through him carried on to the background. I am picking number 1. The one after that its cool that he is in focus but just doesn't have that power rush feeling.

I am voting 1.

Show your client both edits though which you probably already know do to cause you want him happy but I think he will like the first one like others do here too. Hope that helps bro. Nice work.

Ohh .... I take it back, I do have a critique. Look at the guy's sideburns. They appear a bit green, likely from the screen. I would think it's a fairly simple thing to select the area and desaturate the green, though, or simply change its hue to match his hair.

Also, I like the tattoo blurred, but I'm not sure if it's because I like it blurred or because of its placement relative to the center of the picture. If it were closer to his wrists, then it wouldn't be blurred, and I think it would make more sense not blurred there. But I'd have to see it to decide which I liked more ... does that make sense?

the one spot of green on the left is distracting a bit, other than that its a freakin cool shot

Most reactions

Back