My first macro. Please C&C.

solvman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all. I've shot it yesterday. What do you think? All critique and comments are more then welcome.

Thanks.

IMG_0202_m_1.jpg

I do really like it. Did you use a gaussian blur for the OOF parts? It just seems a little too regular to be in-camera. I would however crop it as much as possible, so that the fg in front of the cricket is in focus.

Wow. What lens was that? Love the DOF control.

I do really like it. Did you use a gaussian blur for the OOF parts? It just seems a little too regular to be in-camera. I would however crop it as much as possible, so that the fg in front of the cricket is in focus.

I just used software contrast adjustment and sharpen...original image came out a little underexposed. And the eye was a little blurry.

How about this version:

IMG_0202_m2.jpg

Wow. What lens was that? Love the DOF control.

It was Canon EFS 18-55mm. I shot it at 55mm with F5.6 Just had to get awefully close the cricket :)

Nice photo! Wow, that must have been a pretty big cricket if it was just taken with the kit lens.

IMO, the eye is just a little bit too blurred. Try either focusing on the eyes next time (unless he's gone :)), or using a smaller aperture.

Still, a very nice photo. I love the DOF as well, very regular.

Nice photo! Wow, that must have been a pretty big cricket if it was just taken with the kit lens...

IMO, the eye is just a little bit too blurred. Try either focusing on the eyes next time (unless he's gone :)), or using a smaller aperture.

Still, a very nice photo. I love the DOF as well, very regular.

Actually I did focus on the eye. I was puzzled whenever it came up out of focus a little...it think smaller aperture would make difference.

solvman's EXIF data said:
1/16 sec, f/5.6, ISO 100

Okay, looking at this, if you handheld, then the answer is obvious; camera shake. If not, perhaps just vibration? Regardless, f5.6 is not really a 'small aperture', especially when it comes to macro work. I would look to be more in the f8 - f11 range with the lens you were using.

Most reactions

Back