My first official hurricane!

mrsid99

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well we're all set up here (Pensacola) for hurricane Dennis, probably only going to be a category 2 or maybe weak 3, bit wimpy really.
Having lived in California for the last 25 years I was getting quite bored with earthquakes so I thought I'd sample something from the East coast.
With this under my belt I'll probably move to the mid-West for a tornado or two and then on to volcanoes in Hawaii possibly!
All joking aside, it really is diabolical following so closely to hurricane Ivan last September, there's still plenty of houses here that haven't been completely repaired from that one.
Wish us luck and I'll see what pics I can get.

bring it on. bring em all on. ill be on the porch waitin for it.

MDowdey said:
bring it on. bring em all on. ill be on the porch waitin for it.
with yer boots and shotgun no less!! ;)

personally i can't wait for the rain to hit. we need it so bad.

I was wondering about you, hope all goes well, those forward feeder bands are about 300 miles head of the eye, so they should reaching you, hope you done have a problem with cable fever

I'll take hurricanes and tropical storms any day over earthquakes, blizzards and tornados. At least you have some advance warning of a hurricane.

Although it can also be like a slow torture. After the winds pass and the floods come, but I still take hurricanes.

Stay safe all of you who are in Dennis' path! :hugs:

mrsid99 said:
Well we're all set up here (Pensacola) for hurricane Dennis, probably only going to be a category 2 or maybe weak 3, bit wimpy really.
Having lived in California for the last 25 years I was getting quite bored with earthquakes so I thought I'd sample something from the East coast.
With this under my belt I'll probably move to the mid-West for a tornado or two and then on to volcanoes in Hawaii possibly!
All joking aside, it really is diabolical following so closely to hurricane Ivan last September, there's still plenty of houses here that haven't been completely repaired from that one.
Wish us luck and I'll see what pics I can get.

i just heard that it is a "powerful category 4 with winds of 175 mph and sustained winds of 145

please everyone stay safe and take care :hug::

Yup! Dennis has surpassed menace to full fledged Orgre! They expect it to still be a Cat 1 (74 MPH winds) by the time it reaches Birmingham (central AL).

We're all in the process of battening down the hatches so to speak. Actually, I probably shouldn't say all. A LOT of folks are still talking about how much of a big nothing Ivan was and are not taking Dennis seriously.

Oh, well. I'll post pics as soon as I can. Keep us all in your prayers.

~Liz

We're getting pounded with rain and high winds here, off and on. My computer flickered enough to kick me out of TPF a few minutes ago, and there was hardly anything going on outside at the moment - it's just all around. :shock: In this old Southern town, it's the huge trees toppling over that start the chaos!

Hopefully we'll make it through the night without losing power, there's just no way to know. Dennis is not going quietly, that's for sure!

Hope you Pensacola/Florida folks have made it through the worst all right!

9PM Central time and all is relatively quiet in central AL. Looks like Dennis is tracking far enough West to miss a direct hit on my neck of the woods. Only expecting 50 MPH gusts here in the next few hours...that and the possibility of spin off tornados (they are usually little F0s & F1s that often stay in the clouds and are short lived - stood on the porch and listened to a couple go over the house during Ivan).

May not get any "disaster" shots out of this one after all...cool! I'll take keeping my electricity (hope, hope, hope) over more downed tree photos any day. At this point its just a waiting game to see what happens and if any stray falling trees happen to hit the right point to cause major inconvienence here.

Thanks for the prayers guys!

Well it's over and we're back on-line but that was one blow job I didn't enjoy at all!
I've still got a roof on my house but there's some roof flashing missing (no, not the dirty raincoat routine!) and like everything else in this miserable area it'll be impossible to get it fixed for at least a month, probably just in time for the next one.
Everything here gets hammered badly because the basic designs are so sloppy, the workmanship is diabolical (if you can't fix it by beating it with a big hammer then you're SOL!) and they've never heard the word "maintenance".
Welcome to the South!
I should have got a clue what I was in for when I flew in here and the pilot advised us to set our watches back 50 years.
Didn't even get any pics worth having, it's tough to capture something so dynamic with still pictures.
The pics look as though I've a bad case of camera shake so next time I need a movie camera.
Thinking about "next time" has me seriously considering moving back to a civilized region where they don't roll up the streets at 6pm and the average IQ is above that of standard room temperature.
Thanks everyone for your support.
Sid.

Yeah...I'm sure the building supply materials are like gold down there. My step dad is a contractor, and has a 'storm chaser' contractor friend down there, and he said the ABC Supply stores (a large chain retailer of outdoor building supplies) there wouldn't even answer their phone anymore last year.

Glad to hear you are alright...hope you are getting ready for Emily!

core_17 said:
Yeah...I'm sure the building supply materials are like gold down there. My step dad is a contractor, and has a 'storm chaser' contractor friend down there, and he said the ABC Supply stores (a large chain retailer of outdoor building supplies) there wouldn't even answer their phone anymore last year.

Glad to hear you are alright...hope you are getting ready for Emily!

Corry the only ABC Supply I know is chain of liquor stores. But, maybe that’s why the contraction is so poor.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back