My First Paid Photoshoot

Snakeguy101

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have just recently done my first photoshoot in exchange for money. It is for a local exotic pet shop and they wanted images that they could use for advertisements and to post on their facebook and around the shop. I wasn't paid much but I am still learning so I do not mind not getting paid as much. Anyways, here are a few of the images. I would love to get your opinions on them so that I may improve. Thanks

1)Flash
379025_297196656981042_108812982486078_953521_1332333586_n.jpg

2) Girl and Gecko
381023_297523040281737_108812982486078_954244_1583972277_n.jpg

3) Tegu
385036_298029260231115_108812982486078_955442_1882245299_n.jpg

3rd one is sharp, looks great. 1st is good too. The white balance is off in the 2nd one. There is a lot of green in the picture; it can even be seen in the gir's face.

IMO #1 doesn't show enough of the turtle. It feels very restricted.

As others have said, the shot of the girl has a WB issue.

Thank you for the comments guys. For the second one, I tried adjusting the WB a bit more but am having a lot of trouble with it because when I move the slider away from green and towards magenta, I get these really ugly hot pink tones on the other side of her face before I could even notice a difference in the green tones. I think it may be a color cast from her shirt or something. Is there a way that I could fix it? I use Aperture for my editing but I also have lightroom.

Thank you for the comments guys. For the second one, I tried adjusting the WB a bit more but am having a lot of trouble with it because when I move the slider away from green and towards magenta, I get these really ugly hot pink tones on the other side of her face before I could even notice a difference in the green tones. I think it may be a color cast from her shirt or something. Is there a way that I could fix it? I use Aperture for my editing but I also have lightroom.

Did you take the photos in raw or Jpeg?

I would try to correct the color cast using Selective Color, in Photoshop, adjusting both the "yellows" and the "reds". I think it can be fixed. The shot has appeal...it's a "girl", not a woman, with a retile, looking pleased to have a reptile in-hand. The third shot is good, but that one piece of bark chip at the bottom is a bit distracting. The turtle needs to be adjusted and processed for more "pop!". I can see these being used for lower-level advertising and promotion. While they are not the greatest, they actually are better than many people could do with a camera. And I do not say that to offend, but I have SEEN, with my own eyes, the way "some people" take photos, and these are worlds better than what many people can manage to get, no matter how hard they try.

I have just recently done my first photoshoot in exchange for money. It is for a local exotic pet shop and they wanted images that they could use for advertisements and to post on their facebook and around the shop. I wasn't paid much but I am still learning so I do not mind not getting paid as much. Anyways, here are a few of the images. I would love to get your opinions on them so that I may improve. Thanks

1)Flash
379025_297196656981042_108812982486078_953521_1332333586_n.jpg

2) Girl and Gecko
381023_297523040281737_108812982486078_954244_1583972277_n.jpg

3) Tegu
385036_298029260231115_108812982486078_955442_1882245299_n.jpg

I adjusted the WB in the second photo in LR3 but when I exported the JPEG it reverted back to the original WB. Not sure why. What I did to adjust it is in the Develop Module in LR3, I did a custom white balance using the grayest part of the photo I could find. What I used was the gray/green vertical line to the right of the girl's right cheek that runs down to her chin. Using the WB "dropper" tool I moved around this until I found a good gray color and did auto WB. Try that and see if it helps. Wish I could post my result here but it didn't export as expected.

Did you take the photos in raw or Jpeg?
RAW

I would try to correct the color cast using Selective Color, in Photoshop, adjusting both the "yellows" and the "reds". I think it can be fixed. The shot has appeal...it's a "girl", not a woman, with a retile, looking pleased to have a reptile in-hand. The third shot is good, but that one piece of bark chip at the bottom is a bit distracting. The turtle needs to be adjusted and processed for more "pop!". I can see these being used for lower-level advertising and promotion. While they are not the greatest, they actually are better than many people could do with a camera. And I do not say that to offend, but I have SEEN, with my own eyes, the way "some people" take photos, and these are worlds better than what many people can manage to get, no matter how hard they try.

Thank you very much. Like I said, I am still learning but it is this sort of critique that really helps.

I like 3 the best, although 2 isn't doing it for me. To me, the focus is more on the girl then the pet, that coupled with the WB issue causes the Gecko to blend a little to much for my liking

But they're looking good!

Off camera flash would have worked well for the second and try to get more in focus maybe, Im no pro.

I unfortunately am way too broke for an off camera flash. Starving college student here.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back