My first picture in a Newspaper

How do you guys go about getting printed? You take a news worthy and well done photo and then send it in to the editor? I've looked at a few newspaper websites and couldn't find a contact link for submitting pictures...

For me, I just had a few contacts at the Salon de la marriage, it was more luck than anything. They are going to use my pictures for their 2010 catalog, but more often than not, it is about being in the right place at the right time.

Ill try again tonight since I have pictures from a lecture of Mike Wallace (a famous historian and professor, google him to find out more). I'm about to start looking for some newspapers that will accept it :p.

Mike Wallace of 60 Minutes? (if so, I didn't know he was a historian or a professor)

Ill try again tonight since I have pictures from a lecture of Mike Wallace (a famous historian and professor, google him to find out more). I'm about to start looking for some newspapers that will accept it :p.

And is there a story to go with the art?

You have a much better chance with fast-breaking news than an unsoliciated feature photo with no news value, not timely and hasn't any story or local angle (assuming all the latter).

If you get a hold of somebody with any authority ask 'em how to get on as a "stringer".

Gary

And is there a story to go with the art?

You have a much better chance with fast-breaking news than an unsoliciated feature photo with no news value, not timely and hasn't any story or local angle (assuming all the latter).

If you get a hold of somebody with any authority ask 'em how to get on as a "stringer".

Gary
I could write a short story about him, but not a lot since i don't remember half the story lol. He was talking about DOnwtown NY during WWII
Mike Wallace of 60 Minutes? (if so, I didn't know he was a historian or a professor)
Nope that's not the one lol. I just googled it and noticed there are like 5 different mike wallaces lol. Here is his picture:
wallace_190.jpg

So I e-mailed the editor of a local newspaper from Downtown NY and waiting for a reply. I don't care if they pay be but I will be 1% (or less) more recognized. lol

So I e-mailed the editor of a local newspaper from Downtown NY and waiting for a reply. I don't care if they pay be but I will be 1% (or less) more recognized. lol

Mistake #1 of a newbie pro... never, EVER undersell yourself. Never work for free. Do it once, expect them to do it again... and again.

You see, the buyer perceives your value in what you charge. If you don't charge appropriately, you are considered a lower quality professional, and hence rarely used.

Never accept "nothing" for your hard work. ;)

Mistake #1 of a newbie pro... never, EVER undersell yourself. Never work for free. Do it once, expect them to do it again... and again.

You see, the buyer perceives your value in what you charge. If you don't charge appropriately, you are considered a lower quality professional, and hence rarely used.

thanks for the top :D. Even though I never got an answer back from the editor lol.

I got an answer from two different newspapers :D. progress lol. IF I get printed I'll have something to show off my English teacher :D

Most newspapers these days have a system set up for "reader contributed photos" that they have paired with a policy of not paying for contributed images.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back