My first self portrait session

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've spent the last few days thinking if I wanted to share these photos here or not. This is very hard for me as I don't like the way I look because I have ptosis so I have very poor self image. But one of the ways I've been trying to deal with this is by taking pictures of my self in hope that over time I'll become comfortable in front of the camera and comfortable with my self.

All these photos were shot using a D610 + 50 1.8G at f/2 through f/2.8 and around 1/400th shutter speed and ISO 100 because my idea was to blow the background out and make it black because there is a lot of crap in the background and I don't live in a mansion that has huge rooms lol.

Since I don't have any flashes right now, I used my two 85W soft boxes and position them to the side of me close as I could without being in the frame to get the max brightness so I could shoot at a faster shutter speed to make the background black. I also used a lamp with a daylight bulb to try to act like a key light but it just wasn't bright enough.

The focus isn't perfect because I had to trust the camera to do it for me. I had the camera on the tripod with live view on and in face detection mode. I used my wireless remote the trigger the shutter and I have to admit, the camera did a pretty good job.

The mistake I made was shooting at such shallow depth of field. I should've shot at f/3.2 or f/4. Its just something I didn't think about at the time. But I think for the first time doing something like this, I did pretty good. I'm happy with them (for once).

Ok here they are...I'm scared :hopelessness:

Erwin-170425-9064.jpg Erwin-170425-9078.jpg Erwin-170425-9089.jpg Erwin-170425-9098.jpg Erwin-170425-9102.jpg

Don't be scared. I think you did a great job. 1 & 4 are my favorites, especially 4.

I hate pictures of me, and always delete the ones my boyfriend takes of me. I think i look old and cranky. Of course, I am old and cranky.

It's hard to get comfortable in front of the camera, we are our own worst enemy. Keep at it and post more!

Given the conditions, a pretty darn respectable result! The third one along in the top row and the one with the sunglasses are my picks.

I think these are VERY solid pictures!!!! Seriously. GOOD shots of you, looking real, looking un-retouched, looking sincere. I loathe fake-looking portraiture. These have verisimilitude.

Given the conditions, a pretty darn respectable result! The third one along in the top row and the one with the sunglasses are my picks.

Well, they are Ray Bans. Can't get any cooler than that! haha.

All look good to me, light is right, black background worked very well.

And nobody is comfortable with photos of themselves, except maybe actors and models. I'm much happier photographing other people.

Here is the best way I have found to focus for self portraits. Stand or sit on your mark WITH YOUR CAMERA, manually focus on your tripod, put your camera on your tripod. Shoot.

I think they're great.

You can use the daylight bulb for a key light no problem. I've used low watt household bulbs for portraits before and gotten great results, you just can't be afraid of boosting your ISO past 100.

I would suggest a couple of things. The light for me is a bit flat. #1 is my favorite pose and lighting. I am not much for straight in-your-face shots. Makes your ears look pronounced. The angle in #1 produces a more flattering light as well as a complementary look for you. You could try moving the light around a bit but aim for something other than a straight on shot.

You can use the daylight bulb for a key light no problem. I've used low watt household bulbs for portraits before and gotten great results, you just can't be afraid of boosting your ISO past 100.

Yeah, I have no idea what I was thinking. I'm just not a portrait photographer. It might because I hear some portrait photographers prefer the lowest ISO but maybe that's just not always possible.

I would suggest a couple of things. The light for me is a bit flat. #1 is my favorite pose and lighting. I am not much for straight in-your-face shots. Makes your ears look pronounced. The angle in #1 produces a more flattering light as well as a complementary look for you. You could try moving the light around a bit but aim for something other than a straight on shot.

I'll keep that in mind the next time! Thanks.

I actually tried all sorts of different angles but I didn't like how they turned out. I looked at a lot of low-key male portraiture to get an idea.

The good news is it is just my opinion and as you know art is subjective.

The good news is it is just my opinion and as you know art is subjective.

If art wasn't subjective, then there wouldn't be any art haha.

But seriously, I appreciate your comment and I'm definitely make use of it the next time! Gotta start somewhere!

I think you made a good decision to keep the lights close to you and the shutter speed fast and thus drive the backdrop down to a black tone. as far as the incandescent bulkb not acting as a key light: it might not have been the key light, but it might have added a bit of reflection to the face, and in its own way, thus contributed to the exposure. The easiest way to tell what a liught does is to switch it to OFF, and compare! It's possible often times to overlook a light's contributiuon when you've got thrtee or four on, but once touy turn one OFF, or eliminate it, then what iut had been contributing becomes clear.

Again...I think you did a good job with this series, especially for a first time effort.

I think you made a good decision to keep the lights close to you and the shutter speed fast and thus drive the backdrop down to a black tone. as far as the incandescent bulkb not acting as a key light: it might not have been the key light, but it might have added a bit of reflection to the face, and in its own way, thus contributed to the exposure. The easiest way to tell what a liught does is to switch it to OFF, and compare! It's possible often times to overlook a light's contributiuon when you've got thrtee or four on, but once touy turn one OFF, or eliminate it, then what iut had been contributing becomes clear.

Again...I think you did a good job with this series, especially for a first time effort.

I don't think I had it close enough to contribute a whole lot but it was in the frame so I moved it just out of frame but after thinking about it, I could have just left it in the frame and removed it in Photoshop. Ah! Oh well. I'll figure it out next time!

I hear some portrait photographers prefer the lowest ISO
Don't listen to the photographers that tell you noise is bad and to only shoot at low ISO settings. By limiting your ISO, you're limiting the capabilities of your camera and yourself.

Most reactions

Back