My first shot at HDR (tear it up with CC)

Derek Zoolander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Our Christmas tree. I used photomatix. 3 shots using AEB. at -1, 0, +1. What do you think? Can you even tell it's HDR?

I know composition sucks, but I'm looking more for C&C on technique and how I can improve it.

HDRChristmasTree2Medium-vi.jpg

Looks fairly nice, although i would have adjusted the white balance as not to get such a yellowish tone(enless you were trying for that?).

The white balance is a problem and it looks overexposed to me. Also the tree looks radioactive for better or for worse.

I suppose this is a case of when to use HDR. I get why you posted this picture. It is a quick, let me see what can I use to make a HDR photo. However, this is not the reason for HDR.

The right settings on the camera would give you a better picture. Remember, HDR is used to recreate what we see, not to create something we don't. Think big basilica in Italy during the day.
You look up and want to get a wide angle of the floor to the ceiling. However, since your eyes are better than a camera will ever be, every picture you take has either the highlights blown or the shadows too dark. This should be your subject.

Even out doors. Look for a building flooded with bright sunlight yet has prominent shadows. This is what HDR is about. Otherwise, you are just blowing the highlights out on the tree, making it look as if it was from a different photograph.

-Nick

Looks fairly nice, although i would have adjusted the white balance as not to get such a yellowish tone(enless you were trying for that?).

The walls are yellow. knowing that, should I still change the white balance? I run into this problem a lot with photos inside my house.

The white balance is a problem and it looks overexposed to me. Also the tree looks radioactive for better or for worse.

Haha I have to agree.

I suppose this is a case of when to use HDR. I get why you posted this picture. It is a quick, let me see what can I use to make a HDR photo. However, this is not the reason for HDR.

The right settings on the camera would give you a better picture. Remember, HDR is used to recreate what we see, not to create something we don't. Think big basilica in Italy during the day.
You look up and want to get a wide angle of the floor to the ceiling. However, since your eyes are better than a camera will ever be, every picture you take has either the highlights blown or the shadows too dark. This should be your subject.

Even out doors. Look for a building flooded with bright sunlight yet has prominent shadows. This is what HDR is about. Otherwise, you are just blowing the highlights out on the tree, making it look as if it was from a different photograph.

-Nick

you're absolutely right about the reason for HDR and you're right, I just wanted to figure out the process and it's night time now, but I was anxious to try out the photomatix program.

Thanks everyone!

I agree that this is not the type of thing to shoot in hdr.

Derek Zoolander,

Thanks for being a great sport. I know the feeling of getting new stuff and just not being able to wait to try it.

Also, remember, adjust WB (white balance) to fit your needs in the photograph. You have yellow walls, O.K., keep it warm. But if you want the best possible adjustment for you photographs, use the custom WB function on your camera.

If you don't know how, I can explain. I personally use the expodisc and love it. Truth-be-told though, I can get pretty good results just by editing in my RAW software. Remember to always shoot in RAW and use the sRGB color space.

-Nick

P.S. Great name. I loved that movie.

I agree with adjusting the WB, the picture is too yellow IMO.

It's a nice shot, but I wouldn't have been able to tell it was HDR.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back