My First Shots. Comments pls

vellalar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
IMG_3525_trimmed.jpg

IMG_3518.jpg

#1 - Watch your background. Kid shots are usually best when shot at their level, not looking down. A little fill flash would have given more detail in his face.

#2 - Get closer. Using a larger aperture (lower f-stop number) and a tripod (since the shutter speed would be quite slow) would give you a more blurred and less distracting background.

TF

ShutterSped, when you see pics that got automatically re-sized by the new TPF software, do make sure you look at their original web-size. The downsizing done by the TPF software leaves all downsized pics unclear and pixelated. It's NOT in the photos, not necessarily.

That said, I find that both LACK in composition, as they are both very centred, and - and here I agree with the old clicker ;) - it is very important to watch one's backgrounds in order to obtain GOOD photos. Lines to dry washed clothes on and their poles are highly distracting. Also does she seem to stand more in the shadow than the background was, which makes her quite dark against it. So yes, a fill flash would have helped a lot, also to produce a catchlight in her eyes which would have made them more vivid. (And the ear studs suggest she's a girl, OldClicker ;)).

As to the flower pic, although the background is blurred, I also find it not blurred enough. And again the flower is in the dead centre of the photo, which is not quite so advisable a thing to do in composing a pleasing image.

ShutterSped, when you see pics that got automatically re-sized by the new TPF software, do make sure you look at their original web-size. The downsizing done by the TPF software leaves all downsized pics unclear and pixelated. It's NOT in the photos, not necessarily.

That said, I find that both LACK in composition, as they are both very centred, and - and here I agree with the old clicker ;) - it is very important to watch one's backgrounds in order to obtain GOOD photos. Lines to dry washed clothes on and their poles are highly distracting. Also does she seem to stand more in the shadow than the background was, which makes her quite dark against it. So yes, a fill flash would have helped a lot, also to produce a catchlight in her eyes which would have made them more vivid. (And the ear studs suggest she's a girl, OldClicker ;)).

As to the flower pic, although the background is blurred, I also find it not blurred enough. And again the flower is in the dead centre of the photo, which is not quite so advisable a thing to do in composing a pleasing image.
oops silly me.

Thanks for pointing that out.

You might also want to use a lower ISO when you're shooting outside during the day, you're starting to get some noise in the darker parts of the pictures.

Be aware of the lighting conditions and the direction the light is coming from.

Here are a few web sites I've found that can be helpful for new photographers who want to improve their shooting...

How To Improve Your Photography - 5 Easy Tricks

planet neil: tangents - flash photography techniques

Jodie Coston's Free On-Line Photography Course

11 Tips for Beginner Photographers

Digital Photography Tips for Beginners

Digital Photography Composition Tips

How to Make a Killer Photo using 8 Simple Composition Rules

DSLR Tips

How to Make Great Photos

Bernie's Better Beginner's Guide to Photography

21 Ways to Shoot Better Photographs

How to Take Better Photographs

101 Photography Tips

Last edited:
On #1, you need to match the background with the photo. You could either have used the plants on the left as the background for the entire photo and used a really open aperture to give some blur, or shot in a setting that screams "kid!", like a playground or other area that gives off an essence of the innocence that you tried to capture. Flash would have maybe given some neat reflection in the bubble, but I disagree with the guy above me- yes it would have filled in the shadows in the face, but I like the shadows in the face. It suggests sunlight and outdoors to me.

#2 should be zoomed and have a complimentary background.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back