My First Tone-Mapped Shot

musicaleCA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
That I'm happy with and didn't chuck in the bin anyway. 8 exposures, merged and tone-mapped in Photomatix Pro (Ah, so much better than Photoshop in this regard). C&C on my processing would be appreciated. (There's a little ghosting of the clock hands, but that's to be expected.)

Well restrained on the settings. I was expecting it to look like I was tripping on some psychedelic drug.

Unfortunately it's the subject and composition which does nothing for me. I can't really tell what is supposed to be the subject, the sky or the clock.

Hrm, was going for the clock, really. I would have gotten closer but there's a ton of construction (again??!!?!? What, is my tuition paying for a full-campus makeover?) around that area. :-/

And thanks; the psychedelic-drug effect is not something I want to get in my tone-mapped photos (well, I don't think...maybe it might work for a photo...somewhere down the line...probably not). :lol:

I was expecting it to look like I was tripping on some psychedelic drug.
Careful, some of us, from the Age of Aquarius, have fond memories of how tripping on some psychelic drug gave our artistic procilvities a boost during our misspent youth.

How do you think we ever came up with the idea of tie died t-shirts? :lol:

To me, it looks like it's leaning???

It's caused by the perspective. I really need to find a better spot to shoot that tower from. If only I could get on to the roof of one of the buildings nearby...

Very nice.

I'm also in the "less is more" camp when it comes to tone mapping. I've rarely seen a heavily done image that works, artistically. This one is nice. I would prefer it if the perspective were corrected.

I'm also in the "less is more" camp when it comes to tone mapping. I've rarely seen a heavily done image that works, artistically.

I know this is just a matter of personal opinion but I find some 'heavy' HDR works but not when it's just 'reality+'.

The 'heavy' stuff needs to move into the realm of the surreal to stand a chance for me.

And the more of it we see the harder it is to come up with something 'fresh'.

Careful, some of us, from the Age of Aquarius, have fond memories of how tripping on some psychelic drug gave our artistic procilvities a boost during our misspent youth.

How do you think we ever came up with the idea of tie died t-shirts? :lol:

I saw the effects of this drug. Something called Pink Floyd. You old timers and your music taste ours is so much better. "Hit me baby one more time" :p

I saw the effects of this drug. Something called Pink Floyd. You old timers and your music taste ours is so much better. "Hit me baby one more time" :p

I remember going into London on the train one day and seeing a very large, very pink, pig floating above battersea power station.

Which was odd as I did not remember having taken any of 'that' sort of drug for some years.

You can see the end result of their shoot here

(The pig actually looked a lot bigger from the train which was much closer than the camera position.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back