My first wedding

of which im happy to help if he has any questions

I think this thread is all over the place...omg!

I will try to lend some practice tips of my own... being mainly a commercial photographer but I do an occasional wedding myself:

Being that you are just starting off (like has been said) get some kind of contract which will simply say what is expected of you and of them (i.e. if they want 4x6 proofs of ALL prints and you are offering a cd of medium resolution edited (edited for content like no blurry shots or you take 4 very similar shots and you like number 2 best and delete 1,3 and 4; you're not obligated to provide them with 1,3 and 4) proof files).

Establish the fact that you have creative control of the images. There was a big knock down fight here a while ago because a photog gave MOST images to the bridzilla and she wanted ALL - EVERY LAST ONE - ALL images. Personal note: I never give all because of the aforementioned "blurry, sub-standard quality (my standard) or similar imagery".

Now that proofs are done... move onto shots themselves. Have a list (google one or make one yourself) of "got to have's" Bride has married parents, write it down, step parent situations, write it down. Does she want shots with cousins or not... write it down. Ring bearer or not... write it and so it goes.

I can only speak for me in the fact that most of my wedding shots are photo journalistic (around 60% of them) 20% are posed, 10% are ceremony and the last 10% are fillers (the dress, ring, cake, table sitting, church exterior, blah blah blah). But some brides want different levels of tradition which might cause the percentages to change... ask them.

The album... or no album... talk to them and write it down. Are you going to give them some wall prints? No... write that down. Will you do an engagement session? Write it down!

Do you see the methodology behind a contract even though there is no money exchanged. This is an easy way to gather your checklist but more importantly... be on the same page as the B&G - your friends or not.

More basically... taking the shots themselves. I do take a ladder to the church for the group posed stuff to get higher. But that's probably the only thing I'll say for technique because people are really hammering you on technical stuff. The lens you have will be fine.

Here's the very unorthodox part of your homework. Call another local photographer (or several) and beg... plead, weep and wail, promise to name your future kids after them, and see if you can go with them and shadow them shooting a wedding. Be honest (ALWAYS HONEST) and tell them your story: "I;m not a photog... I have a friend with no money getting married... working guy with a camera and this is a favor... blah, blah, blah" and see if they'll let you tag along. If the first guy says no, call the second photog and "beg... plead..."

Most of all, relax and breathe (this is going to be hard and nerve wracking for the first wedding), think about the shot (look around the viewfinder for all the little details) and capture the image. If you have some missed shots or little things in the shot that shouldn't be there, it's no biggy. Have fun and think about this little story and tell yourself, it's not that bad.

My very first wedding as a "pro-tog" the pastor did the "I now pronounce you thing" and mentioned the reception after the photographs. He then seated the entire congregation to "watch and enjoy" me taking the entire set of formal shots.

I thought I was going to pass out!

I just thought of another little pearl of wisdom: When the formal shots are done with the family and bridal party, and it's down to just the couple shots, I kick everyone out of the sanctuary period. Everyone! No moms, no best man, no Aunt Carol that drove 4 days straight through the snow the entire time just for the wedding... NO BODY! This is a very intimate time for the B&G and you (and your assistant if you have one) to capture these very priceless shots. If Uncle bob wants a photo of them kissing at the alter, tell him to hurry up and get out (but say it nicely).

OOPS... one more thing. Make sure they all know (B&G, wedding planner, dad-in-law, bridesmaid number 4...) that you (even though you are to a degree unexperienced) are the photographer in charge. If the other family members want shots (and they will), yours take priority! How I handle this is I set my shot and capture it then I invite them to snap one off (rarely from my vantage point). You need to politely be aggressive and command the situation. Do not bow down to the friend of the best man's mom that lives down the street and let them take over your session. MAN UP! and have fun.

David

(Hope some of this helps)

p.s. you do not need a "I'm the only photog and have no backup clause if I am dead" thing in your contract. IMO

p.s. you do not need a "I'm the only photog and have no backup clause if I am dead" thing in your contract. IMO[/quote]

do you think so?

i only put this in as advice from people on here.

and i must admit i do feel happier that my clients know i have no back up.

one member said i would have trouble getting people to sign it but i have had no probelm at all.

but thats just me im glad i have it in there but its not for everybody.

at least if i am in hospital they wont sue me :)

I did put IMO. And No... I don't think so at all. I think common since will prevail on most issues. Heck you might get lost and run out of gas with no phone within miles of the church and miss it. Are there clauses for that? No.

Common since stuff. We don't have to over complicate our contracts. I personally (That's in my personal opinion) think that is an unnecessary clause. If you like it... go for it! Just don't get all bent out of shape when someone disagrees.

I also think a contract is the way to go. Technically it's not a "contract" because they are not paying anything, but it's a set of ground rules that they are agreeing to, essentially preventing them from later arguing that you agreed to provide something other than what you are agreeing to.

Why don't the couple save their pennies and have a proper wedding?

How is that helpful?

Most reactions

Back