My first wedding

whatmeworry

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
By which I mean the first wedding I've taken some serious photographs at;).

My wife's sister got married at the weekend and I took along my new camera (Panasonic Lumix FZ20) and was quite pleased with the results. Let me know what you think.

25157020_b27c5447af.jpg

25158757_30cf63b1b4.jpg

25158759_234dc11e53.jpg

My sister gets married in a couple of weeks and I've promised here I'll take some pictures for her, so any tips would be greatly apprectiated!

Not bad but one thing jumps out at me. In both of the first two, you cut off the bride with the bottom of the frame...especially in the second one. This is especially bad because the top half of the frame in both is just blank sky and some building. It really gives a 'snap shot' look to the photos...which isn't always bad but it's something that can be improved upon.

It's almost always better to get the whole bride (or any subject) into the frame...but if you can't...make sure there is a good reason. The third one is a good example of when it's OK to not get the lower half of the subjects in the shot. Remember, you can always crop after the fact but you can't include more at a later time.

The lesson here is always be thinking about the composition. Look at the edges of the frame to see if you are cutting something off...and if you are...decide if you should include all of it...maybe at the expense of something else on the other side. Just think how much better that second shot would be if you lowered your angle just a bit, or turned the camera 90 degrees to get the whole bride, the bouquet and the bride's maids about to catch it.

I know it can be tough to think of these things while the action is happening...that comes with experience. I sometimes fall into the pattern of focusing on people's faces and snapping the image...leaving the person's face in the centre and just dead space above. You should practice the focus lock and recompose...with most cameras, just hold the button down half way to focus (I like to use a person's eyes/face) and once the camera has locked the focus, recompose the shot and then snap it.

Another quick tip, try different perspectives. Don't take all your shots standing up with your camera at eye level. Try getting low and shooting up, try getting on top of something and shooting down. If someone is short (kids) get down on their level.

Oh, one more thing....have fun. :D

Thank you! That's exactly the sort of constructive advice I need.
You're quite right that the photos weren't properly planned - I just ran to the right place and started snapping.
I'll bear your suggestions in mind for the next one!
Thanks again.

in the frist two pics you cut out the bride as Mike said and you left a way tooo much of the sky and the bulding which is not necessary there. Try tighter crops even get closer or use a long zoom. I don't know your camera but you should also control DOF if you want to take some serious wedding portraits and photos.
If you write down that I can edit your pics I may show you my suggestions for cropping in those wedding pics.

But it is a nice start. :)

Cheers guys. I had a play on photoshop and, following your advice, came up with new versions of the pictures which I much prefer.

*edit* Oh, and feel free to edit the pics - more than happy to see what you make of them

I think the cropped versions work much better!

Most reactions

Back