My Fuji Microfine developer turned yellow after roll of Rollei IR400, why?

Discussion in 'The Darkroom' started by AluminumStudios, Apr 10, 2008.

1. AluminumStudios

AluminumStudios TPF Noob!

Hello everyone,

After shooting digital for several years I became discontent and wanted to start playing with film.

I've been successfully developing my own Fuji Presto 400 using Fujifilm Microfine developer.

Today I tried developing my first roll of Rollei IR400 film. I read in a post on another site that you do NOT have to presoak the film to remove any anti-halation layer (something I have zero experience with.)

I decided to give it a try with what I had so I developed a roll with my Fuji Microfine developer. I did 9 minutes 30 second at 20 degrees (Celcius, I'm in Japan). When I poured the developer out to my surprise it was a clear, deep, yellow (sorry for the gross analogy, but it looked like urine.) It was pretty clear beforehand and had never changed when developing Preso B&W film.

My question is what caused this? Is there a layer that should have been washed away with a pre-soak? Is this some kind of indication that I exhausted the chemicals with this roll?

Any info. is much appreciated!

Also, I live in small-town Japan and getting any kind of variety of chemistry is a challenge, so I'm just sticking with the Fuji stuff I've been able to get for now.

BTW - the film is hanging and drying now and it looks like it developed decently.

Thanks!

2. Early

Early TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Since no one has volunteered, I suppose I can give you my thoughts on the subject. It just won't be of any help.

I once developed Kodak movie stock film in C-41, but I don't remember if the developer turned yellow, and I had to remove the anti-halation backing manually.

3. AluminumStudios

Hmm, you're right. Your comment isn't of any help.

4. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    strange, i comment about this and my post has disappeared.
    anyway, it is very commone for various combinations of film and developer to change color .

i have seen orange, green , purple among other shades.

5. AluminumStudios

Does this mean the developer is still OK to use, or should it be disposed of?

The strange thing is I looked at it again and it turned from yellow back to mostly clear!

I don't want to use it if it's compromised now, but at the same time, in small-town Japan, with my limited ability to buy developer, I want to get as much use as possible out of what I have.

-Will

6. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    how do your negative look? that is the real guide line.

if they are fine, then i wouldn't worry. it is just a trait of the combination your using.

7. AluminumStudios

My negatives look OK. They are a little flat, but I'm not surprised since I only made an educated guess at time and temperature since I had no data for Rollei IR400 in Fuji Microfine. This was just a test roll for me.

My concern is ... is my chemistry OK to use for more film or did something happen to it?

8. Judge Sharpe

Judge Sharpe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Do a test strip- the cut off ends of undeveloped film do eell- if they come out clear, you are OK- but developer is cheap and I sould not take a chance of ruining a greeat shot- pour it out and mix some more.
    Judge Sharpe