My FX delima

Shanman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just purchased a D610 (sold all my dx gear). I love landscape, and lightning, storm photography. I am currently making money doing portraits and family photography. I know there isnt a perfect dual purpose lense, so there is where I am. I have about 1500(+ or minus a few dollars) to spend. Knowing that what makes me money, I will probably buy a 50mm or 85mm. I really really want a nice wide angle. 14-24 - too expensive; 16-35 is cheaper( takes filters) but If I buy it I spend most of my budget. 18-35 looks like a good option, but I am afraid I'm starting to get away from wider angles. I looked at the tokina 16-35, like it but doesn't take filter either. What would you do? I appreciate your input.

Unsure how we are supposed to help you here.

using tapatalk.

I don't know ho to help me either lol. What Im looking for is does anyone recommend the 18-35? Is is worth going up to the 16-35?

How many hills and waterways, etc are going to pay you?
Or are you trying to make money selling landscape photos?

If you just want a wide lens just for fun and no income, and want to save a ton of money get the 18-35 AF-D /77mm filters. Check my Flickr for all landscape, car shows, etc are done with that lens. used they sell for under $400. Then you can add a used 85mm and 50mm.

ie, have your cake and eat it too :)

I don't know ho to help me either lol. What Im looking for is does anyone recommend the 18-35? Is is worth going up to the 16-35?

I do recommend the 18-35mm. It's better if you're only focusing stills (not video). This is what I did, in fact: Nikkor 18-35mm + Samyang 14mm.

I wrote a review on them:
Here's how I reviewed the Nikkor 18-35mm AF-S G ED (newer version). Hope this is useful to you. Good luck with your choice!

I've been using the Nikkor 18-35mm for a few months now, mainly on a D810, and I believe it's one of these lenses that deserve extra reviews and attention. So here goes a brief review, of this excellent UWA lens option.

Usually people think of this UWA lenses for landscape. While it's outstanding for landscape work, there is something else where it shines: 'storytelling'. Telling a story from the field, about events or activities I'm involved with while traveling, is part of a technique to communicate events or trips to a non-attending public. This is great for feeding organizational reports, events, field trips, vacations, photo-jounalism etc.

A wide angle lens, with the right frame, will tell a lot visual information for the observer who is somewhat already expecting to hear the stories of a trip, a project, a community, the she/he was not able to attend or engage with, etc. I usually get feedbacks from people saying things like "seeing these photos was like being there myself". And wide angle lenses are a great and creative way to take portraits as well.

Some time ago, I crossed with a Youtube video that tries to explain how to use wide angle lens for the same purpose that I tend to use it. I found it very interesting, and decide to come here and share this video. The video goes a bit beyond that, into a few wide angle photography tips for interiors, parties, landscapes, and street photography use as well.

How to use wide angle lenses - DSLR photography tutorial
By Sydney Portraits, published on 29-Nov-2013

And for this kind of work, the 'Nikkor AF-S 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED' lens is a king. Many reviews out there refers to this lens as second only to the 'Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED', once it's sharp corner-to-corner, even when wide open at 18mm and f/3.5.

The 18-35mm main advantages before the 14-24mm are:
  1. A lot less expensive
  2. A lot lighter
  3. Takes 77mm filters
  4. Going until 35mm makes it very versatile
  5. The 18-35mm has a little less chromatic abberation
While the 18-35mm main disadvantages before the 14-24mm are:
  1. It's not a f/2.8 constant aperture
  2. It's not so wide (18mm x 14mm)
  3. Its built relies more on plastic than metal
  4. The 14-24mm has a little less distortion
And the similarities between these two lenses are around:
  1. Sharpness: they're both very sharp, corner-to-corner
  2. They present similar optical qualities, generating high quality end results
For some good time I studied the Nikkor 14-24mm as a UWA lens option for myself, and because of its high price and heavy weight, I decided to go with a two lenses combo instead, that I'm very much satisfied with, as per below. Together, they created a perfect solution for me. Light weight for constant travel was very important for me, and both lenses are a winner here. They are both very sharp as well.
  • Nikkor AF-S 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED
  • Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC w/chip (my review of it)
TS560x560

I've learned fast that the higher f/# of the 18-35mm is not such a big deal with UWA lenses, once you can shoot them at low shutter speeds. The 18-35mm is an ideal lens for frequent travelers, always on the move, who need light weight and flexibility in a relaible lens. It's also weather resistant, with a rubber gasket in the metal mount.

My practical experience with this lens (and the D810) goes from storytelling, landscapes, and astrophotography, with good results all around. Here my sample shots with the 18-35mm.

It works pretty well in my D5200 as well as a 27-52mm FoV equivalent lens. But it doesn't make sense to buy it if you only use a DX camera, specially with the 'Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art' out there, with equivalent price tag.

Don't confuse this lesn (released early in 2013) with its old version, the 'Nikkor AF 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF-ED'. While the old version tends to be very soft, the newer version is using all Nikon's tricks from teh 14-24mm, in a light weight package for the photographers on the run.

Nikon does great wide angle lenses, nowadays. Beyond the 18-35mm and the 14-24mm, there is also these other options (among others):
  • Nikkor AF-S 16-35mm f/4G ED VR --> another great option, ideal for video shooting, giving the constant f/4 and the VR.
  • Nikkor AF-S 20mm f/1.8G ED --> the new kid on the block, with amazing results as a fast and wide prime.
  • Nikkor AF 14mm f/2.8D ED --> a quite expensive piece of glass, now starting to age, but still good enough.
  • Nikkor AF-S 24mm f/1.4G ED --> another expensive (and excellent) prime lens
Not to mention some good UWA/WA third parties lenses as well, from Tokina, Samyang/Rokinon/Bower, Sigma, and now Tamron as well, with its brand new 'Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD', that came to challenge the kingdom of the 'Nikkor AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8G ED'. So plenty of good glasses all around.

In the middle of all these options, I still believe that 'Nikkor AF-S 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED' is a great bargain UWA lens, delivering high end image quality, in a really light weight package, and with serious glass inside. So I'm here rating it 5 out of 5.

Some reviews out there:
'Nikkor AF-S 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED' specs:
  • FX lens
  • AF-S motor
  • 7 blade rounded aperture
  • 77mm filter ring
  • 28cm (11") minimum focus
  • 1:5 reproduction ratio
  • Size: 95 x 83mm (3.7 x 3.3")
  • Weight: 385g (13.6 ounces)
  • Petal lens hood and soft case included
  • Weather resistant, with a rubber gasket
  • Stops down to f/22-29
  • Angle of view: 100°~63° on FX and film & 76°~44° on DX
  • New: USD $750 (Mar/2013 -- Apr/2014)
  • Used: ~USD $670 (not so easy to find it used)
  • Made in China
  • 12 elements, 8 groups, 3 of them aspherical, 2 of them ED elements (see below), and multicoated glass inside
TS560x560

Nikkor AF-S 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED - Lens cut off/diagram

And some shots of and with the lens:

TS560x560

TS560x560

TS560x560

TS560x560

TS560x560

TS560x560

TS560x560

TS560x560

TS560x560

TS560x560

TS560x560

TS560x560

TS560x560

TS560x560

TS560x560

TS560x560

Here more of my sample shots with the 18-35mm.

I opted for the older Nikon AF 20-35mm f2.8D. I love it. It's sharp! Also had the 20mm f2.8D prime before. It was nice also.
Sure, I'd like to have more width, but this is what I can afford. I love it for landscapes, on FX.

18, even 20mm is pretty wide on a full-frame!

I'd say the 18-35G is of the best wide angles out there, it's extremely sharp and it's been on my wish list and I hope to buy it this year. I think it's a rather versatile lens, 18mm on FX is VERY wide and 35mm is a good focal length for general photography. If you don't need ultra wide, the 24-120 f/4 is a pretty versatile lens when on the go for storm photography and seen some rather nice portraits taken using that lens as well. But I'd rather use a prime.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back