My gear smells of smoke

lovelaos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all, first post on here. I have a question about cleaning my camera body and lens body. I bought second hand and the previous owner was a smoker so all the gear stinks of stale cigarette smoke! What can I clean it with to get rid of this smell?

Consult your user's manual for acceptable cleaning materials and methods. Do not try anything that is a powerful cleanser. Also, do not attempt to clean inside the mirror box.

My recommendation is just give it air. Eventually the odor will become less over time. Don't keep it wrapped up in a bag or plastic, just place it in a safe place in your residence.

Had the same problem with a D800 I bought used at my local photography shop. I put a weak dish soap (Dawn) and water solution in a cup and dampened (not soaked) a toothbrush to scrub the body being careful not to let the solution run into any of the controls. I used a paper towel to frequently dry it off. Stay away from the view screen with dish soap, but use a lens cleaning solution and micro fiber lens cloth. It took a couple of cleanings, but it came out just fine. Any remaining smell dissipated over a coupe of weeks.

Thanks all, I will do a combination of all the above remarks. Also, been reading about how charcoal can elaborate smoke odour in rooms, going to give that a try too.

If you have funny smoke fumes on camera equipment, have no fear. Simply smoke a stronger tobacco around it for a while. Nothing like a good latakia blend to overpower the cheapness of someone been smoking 2 packs a day with their camera.

Ironically I have YET to have a film camera come to me, so far 9 out of 9 have had some level of smoke to them.

Hi all, first post on here. I have a question about cleaning my camera body and lens body. I bought second hand and the previous owner was a smoker so all the gear stinks of stale cigarette smoke! What can I clean it with to get rid of this smell?

Put the camera in a plastic bag with a dryer sheet, after a couple of days the smoke smell will be gone.

Most reactions

Back