my lighting

harrisoncj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My main thing is making movies... I am a Motion Picture arts major at interlochen arts academy, and I took this photo on one of our film shoots. I was the grip - i.e. I did the lighting. Tell me what you guys think.

DSC01033.jpg

P.S. There's two things that bother me about this photo, but I'm not saying anything to see if they bother anyone else...

The left side is empty
She merges with the lamp
The lighting on the subject is too contrasty and at a bad angle so the shadows are unflattering

Little do I know about proper lighting, but let me just speak my mind on what I see at a first glance:

I feel there ought to have been some light reflected back to that side of her that is in deep shadow right now, i.e. the side of the shoulder that we see.

All in all I like side light in movies, mostly so the kind that lights up the eyes "from within" so the irises really "radiate" their colour, but here it is quite harsh and contrasty.

That lamp shade is no help for a photo.
In case of a film, if she is moving out of this position any time soon now, it might not be so distracting as we'd only see it in a fleeting moment. But I find it too white, too close and too large for this photo.

The window blinds are at a funny angle and a bit of dusk blue is shining through. That prolonged triangle is a bit distracting, too.

What light you used looks a bit yellow in the background, not quite balanced. And it looks like it might be placed too close to her. Parts of her skin are on the brink of being blowed out, while overall this photo is dark.

Keep in mind that this is just me speaking, and I know next to nothing about studio lights, light ratios and what all there is to know.... :oops:

This shot was being taken from a different angle than the video camera.

I just don't like the light that comes from the window. It give me a strange feeling ! ;)

This shot was being taken from a different angle than the video camera.

but we can only see it from this angle and with the camera you used. My guess is that video or movie film cameras require different types and amounts of lighting than an SLR for optimal results.

I'd guess the camera is recording from the angle the light is coming from, so she is well lit.

As for the window in the background, thats what happens when your white balance is set to tungsten lights and the effect is applied to daylight. mucho blue.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back