My new Flash

his4ever

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.stonecafecreations.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Today I recived my Pheonix deticated flash. I can get a few not so bright pictures but it looks like I have some learning to do. Read manual... dont get it. Can you all explain this to me?
Thanks
flash2.jpg

What my flash looks like (sorry about the camera shake and for not putting it my light tent... was in a rush).
1)
flash.jpg

2)
flash3.jpg

Some test runs
1)
testbear1.jpg

2)
testbear2.jpg

Thanks

Without playing with it, I don't know if I will be much help, but I'll give it a try.

The sliding lever seems to set the ISO on the flash. So if you're using 400 film or your sensor is set to ISO 400 sensitivity level, set the flash to 400.

When you flip the LO/HI switch, it changes the bar graphs, right?

The bars indicate the effective range of the flash. So in your picture right now, with your flash zoom head set to 35mm, with the sensitivity set to ISO 200, your lens set to f/8, and the flash set to 'HI', the effective range of the flash would be 15 ft. to 1.5 ft. (as indicated by the bar)

Although this is a dedicated flash, I don't know if it meters through the lens. (TTL) It may just use a sensor on the front of the flash.

It does appear to have an infrared autofocus assist beam on the front.

How many contacts are on the flash shoe? That will tell you if it is TTL or just basic dedication.

Thanks Jeremy :D
There are 5 contacts in the shoe. Hi/Lo does not change it. It does have the IR focus (which rocks!) I got the ISO part. Still trying to get everything else. :D I am going to keep playing with it till I get used to it. I like what it does so far... it is just to new to me. I also have been learning that it needs to warm up before the next shot or else it will not shoot very brite. Which makes me wonder... I am going to be shooting an event and I wondering if this will be a good idea? I dont know... I have two months to play with it and get used to it. :D.

If it is a dedicated flash it meters TTL. All the info you need is in your manual some pf what you are looking for may be model specific and I would be willing to bet not too many if any people on here have that flash. As far as "warming up" all flashes have a recycle time where the flash needs to charge for the next shot recycle time depends on output, life of your batteries, and your flash so the biggest thing in your control right now is to start with fresh batteries for this event you want to shoot and possibly have a second set or more on hand when you go. I have found myself using severa sets of AA batteries for my SB800 at a wedding to keep recycle times at an acceptable level.

Most reactions

Back