My photos too sexual???

Don't sweat it man. You do good work, and have developed a nice style. You can please everyone some of the time, but you can't please some people all of the time.

Your work isn't overtly sexual in nature.
Some is on the sensual side, but this isn't the 1800s anymore...its ok for a woman to express a little sexuality if she wants, and your work is tasteful.

Just my opinion though.

In order of importance:

1) Your first needs are to please the client;
2) Your second needs are to please yourself; and
3) Your last needs are to please everybody else.

You will never please everybody else.

Faith Wise-
As to her comment, if you are a Christian [insert type of faith here], Christianity [insert faith here] is important to you are of the same sect as your critic ... then you need to take a hard look at you photographs and within your own ethical and religious standards determine if your imagery is contrary to said standards. If there is any question in your mind, then seek the help of a professional ... a person of the cloth, a priest/pastor/rabbi/imam/et al.

Business Wise-
You gotta follow the money. If you can make a killing in a 'niche' market, claiming that you capture only non-sexual portraits ... hey, go for it. If you can make a killing in a 'niche' market of sexually stimulating portraits ... hey, go for it. If you can combine the two markets ... you should be able to effectively double your killings.

Moi Wise-
If it was me that the question was directed towards, my rely would be something to the effect of: I do not judge my clients. If my client desire an image with some sex appeal that is within the ethical standards of society in general and my own ethical standards in particular, then I will comply with their wishes. If my client desires an image which is asexual which is within the ethical standards of society in general and my own ethical standards in particular, then again, I will comply with their wishes. I do not judge others, only myself. I would be more than happy to try my best in capturing your portrait in the fashion you desire.

(In this particular case, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.")

After careful study of my New Testament, I can find no indication that Christ had any opinions on photography at all.
While you may be literally correct (and I suspect attempting to add a bit levity), your response lacks the nuance and sensitivity required when discussing matters of faith (BTW, there are two testaments in that book that guide over a billion people in one way or another and much is said of modesty and/or temptation). There are several major faiths as well that have even greater modesty than the Judeo-Christian ethic.
the complainant's objection was 'as a Christian' therefore what Christ said is the only relevant issue. Christ said we should be tolerant and to never judge others (or to only judge once we have become perfect ourselves). I think my response was both nuanced and sensitive. I might have ignored those things that some people want to include in being 'Christian' but have nothing to do with Christ's teaching but that is not me being insensitive, that is me being accurate.

"Please feel free to unfollow me if you no longer wish see my photography."

Thank you all so much for your feedback! I did talk to her about it when she asked me, and honestly, I do feel like she was just jealous.

I asked her to explain herself and her comments were: I accentuate the butts/chests, and my models often have a "come hither" look.

I explained to her that to create a flattering image for women you often want that "S" shape, and that to a lot of women, being sexy is empowering. So... idk, hopefully this is a small minority of people who feel this way about my work.

Thank you all so much for your feedback! I did talk to her about it when she asked me, and honestly, I do feel like she was just jealous.

I asked her to explain herself and her comments were: I accentuate the butts/chests, and my models often have a "come hither" look.

I explained to her that to create a flattering image for women you often want that "S" shape, and that to a lot of women, being sexy is empowering. So... idk, hopefully this is a small minority of people who feel this way about my work.

Give her a free shoot session...

Funny thing is... she did agree to model for me at some point. Not sure how she'd feel about that now lol.

Funny thing is... she did agree to model for me at some point. Not sure how she'd feel about that now lol.

Probably nude, right?

Sorry I'd have to disagree with this. IMHO, you've wasted too much time already worrying about this. Keep doing what you do and don't worry about one person that isn't happy or is jealous of your work. Until you have issues with unhappy paying clients or you can't sleep at night because you don't feel right about shooting what you are shooting then it shouldn't matter. You know that you can please everyone and to try to do so would be futile.

Sorry I'd have to disagree with this. IMHO, you've wasted too much time already worrying about this. Keep doing what you do and don't worry about one person that isn't happy or is jealous of your work. Until you have issues with unhappy paying clients or you can't sleep at night because you don't feel right about shooting what you are shooting then it shouldn't matter. You know that you can please everyone and to try to do so would be futile.

It's just she's a close friend of mine, so I do respect her opinion. But you guys are right - it's my work, and I personally don't feel it's "too" sexual. I am happy with the direction I've been going, and the improvement I've been seeing lately.

It's just she's a close friend of mine, so I do respect her opinion.
So... I'm confused. Is she saying this to help your business or to further her religious agenda?

So... I'm confused. Is she saying this to help your business or to further her religious agenda?

As Christians, we are encouraged to disciple to one another and to hold each other accountable. This was probably an instance of that.

As Christians, we are encouraged to disciple to one another and to hold each other accountable. This was probably an instance of that.
Ok, religious agenda it is. You'll have to decide what's more important: your business or religious judgement against you.

Tell her to mind her own business and stop telling others how they should or shouldn't make their art/ live their lives.

After looking at your photos, I suspect that she is projecting the guilt of her own sexual reactions to your photos onto you.

thank her for her feedback & that you will take it under consideration. keep making fine art. your work is very good.

governments & religions are control structures. when people use them as beLIEf systems, no benefit can be had by engaging discourse!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back