My self portrait- you can post process to help me learn. C and C

Rachelsne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I was practising my self portraits today-discovered manual focus is my friend, makes it much easier as I dont have a remote!
Here is my edited version

2570501539_d046303b8c_b.jpg

I did: Clone and heal brush for stray hairs and skin
Dodge eye whites
Reduced noise
High pass on overlay and reduce opacity

If you would like to edit me and tell me what you did to help me learn, your edits can be sensible-or crazy up to you! thanks

here is the orig:
meorig.jpg

Nice shots!! Only thing is in the second shot, is that the back of a Chair in the lower right? Might look better if that wasn't there as it really don't have anything to do with the image.

I still use auto focus in my self portraits. I use a dummy as a stand in. Focus on it then I trip the shutter with the timer on and replace the fake dummy with the real dummy LOL .As I did in my avatar pic.

Nice pic. You look sorta angry, I would try some different expressions :)

I had a chair, then on the chair I had my cat food container then my crock pot with the lid inverted, a box of rice and a soft toy-probably should have taken a pic of it as it looked quite funny.

I did some smiling with my teeth shots and were too toothy, and even when i half smiled it looked more like a pout-i guess thats why im normally behind the camera instead of in front of it LOL

keep the comments coming--

Thanks so far

I did some smiling with my teeth shots and were too toothy, and even when i half smiled it looked more like a pout

I watched a show on the Ovation channel," Photographers at work"

The photographer would say to the subject. "now just the slightest warmth of a smile".. It seemed to work for everybody.

Here is what I came up with. Let me know what you think. I was experimenting with something that was in a magazine I just got.
meorigcopy.jpg

Here's my take on it. I've never done a portrait before, so please don't take anything offensive. I read a few things though before so I tried them for skin and eyes. I did a duplicate layer and did a guasian blur and put a black mask on it and painted white with a soft brush at 10-15 opacity on your face and shoulders. I dodged your eye whites and did an unsharp mask on the pupils. This is where not knowing much about makeup doesn't help, but I've seen my wife do hers quite a few times. I burned your bottom eye lashes and then took the color from your tank strap and brushed that with a soft brush at 5% opacity or so on above and below your eyes on your skin. I played with the levels and erased the chair with the color of the background slightly above where it was. It didn't blend nice so I used the patch tool where the blend area was to be, highlighted it and dragged up a bit.

Sorry if you don't like the added "makeup" or it looks too fake. Anywho:
meorig1.jpg

EDIT: I think it probably would look better w/out the purple. Oh well, it was a thought.

I did a little more then just patching and sharpening.

meorigcomparedh2.jpg

I like the freckles. It's you!

The thin little magenta strap adds a bit of sensuality as well.

I do like what Sw1tchFX has done with your eyes and lips. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliments and the edits,
Sometimes I like my frekles sometimes I dont, they only apear when I have been out in the sun too LOL

Here is what I came up with. Let me know what you think. I was experimenting with something that was in a magazine I just got.

I think yours MAYTAY20 may be just a little harsh around the edges, a few stray hairs would soften it just a little

Here's my take on it. I've never done a portrait before, so please don't take anything offensive. I read a few things though before so I tried them for skin and eyes. I did a duplicate layer and did a guasian blur and put a black mask on it and painted white with a soft brush at 10-15 opacity on your face and shoulders. I dodged your eye whites and did an unsharp mask on the pupils. This is where not knowing much about makeup doesn't help, but I've seen my wife do hers quite a few times. I burned your bottom eye lashes and then took the color from your tank strap and brushed that with a soft brush at 5% opacity or so on above and below your eyes on your skin. I played with the levels and erased the chair with the color of the background slightly above where it was. It didn't blend nice so I used the patch tool where the blend area was to be, highlighted it and dragged up a bit.

Sorry if you don't like the added "makeup" or it looks too fake. Anywho:

EDIT: I think it probably would look better w/out the purple. Oh well, it was a thought.

BRANDDON S
I like your edit, I dont think the added makeup is too bad :) I like the darkened eyelashes underneath too

I did a little more then just patching and sharpening.
SW1TCHFX
I like your edit alot, may you pleas tell me how you brought out the brown in my eyes? it makes a huge difference I like the crop too, Im never sure how close to crop guess I should have experimented some more.

my favorite are the ones you posted in the original post. ma'am, i don't see a THING wrong with those two photographs. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back