My son, BW LP, Too much?

Canon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK so hello! I haven't been around here in quite some time but I had to stop by and get some opinions. As I have been setting up some files for gift prints at Christmas I am starting to wonder if I am going a little overboard with some of the editing. I've learned alot since I was last active here, but as everyone knows sometimes if left unchecked you can start to overuse a certain method or methods easily and not even know it!

I must also admit that I am trying to create an image that has come to my mind since this original shoot and hae no time to setup and shoot the "real deal" and get it printed before next week for gifting. So I hae chossen to create my lighting in CS2 though painting it in. The first is an original "out of the camera, cropped only" file, and the second is my light painted, BW converted, and fairly massagd print file. I like it for the most part (the halo around the head drives me insane but I am running out of time).

Be gentle because it is my son and my wife absolutely loves it, but be honest, is it too much?

Orig . . .

CRS_0407-ORIG.jpg

Redux . . .

CRS_0407-BW-LP.jpg

I think the 2nd one is okay, but I would actually like to see MORE light on the top and side of your son's head and on the top of his shirt. As it is now, I find the change from light to dark too drastic, so adding that light might make things less...abrasive.

With regards to the effect created I should say: no, you did not overdo it. It works all right. Doesn't look exaggerated, and his smile is infectious, absolutely adorable ... and those who'll get this photo as their present will love it! I am just sure!

The transition is to drastic for me......

It leaves a halo around his head that I just can't get past. I like the overall idea, and I think it looks good, but it doesn't look natural. If the shift was a little softer and longer between light and dark it would be a lot better.

Very cute kid, by the way.

Sorry for the double post.............

But after looking at the image a little more I think I can say more clearly what is bothering me.

Not only is the halo to "hard".(it is more of a thine "LINE" than a soft "Fade") it follows the contour of his head, neck, and body. If this effect was created in camera and not in post, it would most likely be a circle or elipse but not follow his outline so ridgedly.

Again, I think its great, I just think it looks a little too un-natural.

Most reactions

Back