My speedlight is stuck on my camera! Help!

I would try the feeler gauges too. same concept as the credit card in the door to unlock it!

Feeler guage trick won't work. Yes, same premise as using the credit card on the door, but in this case it would be like trying to unlock a deadbolt with a credit card.

True, the pin is spring loaded, but when it is engaged, it goes COMPLETELY into the hole in the top of the hotshoe. No way to get under it with the feeler guage to get it out of the way....

BTW,,, if you haven't already done so.... take the batteries out of the flash before you try ANYTHING.

My gut says this is your best bet.

There are 4 small screws on the bottom of the flash. They hold the foot to the base of the flash. If you take these 4 screws out. You can lift the body of the flash up. The communication wires (not power wires) are on a quick connector. Can disconnect the wires and you have access to the foot. And the flash body will be out of the way.

You will need a #0 phillips angled screwdriver to get at them since its still on your camera body (normally use a straight one). If you take the camera and flash to a handy man with tools, He should be able to take the screws out, remove the flash body. Then take out the components to get to the locking pin.

Feeler guage trick won't work. Yes, same premise as using the credit card on the door, but in this case it would be like trying to unlock a deadbolt with a credit card.

You're right. Just verified it with my 50D, 580EX, and my feeler gauges. The only way I can get one thru is with the pin retracted. And you'd need such a thin gauge, it would be useless. It's funny, your dead bolt analogy is exactly what I was thinking as well. Scary. I'd try lightly rapping the flash at the base with something hard, like a screw driver handle. If the pin is hanging on something, sometimes a short, sharp vibration is enough for the spring to do it's job.

It's because you shoot Nikon.

I found this through Google and my anticipation built as I read through the pages but was left full of suspense when the thread just ENDED without a resolution. So, after performing the same operation, I signed up to share my results in case someone else has the same problem of a stuck sb-600 that they can't remove from the camera.

Removing the 4 screws on the bottom works. That's the short answer. I was fortunate enough to find a very tiny, very short screwdriver in a watch maintenance kit I picked up for about $3 off Amazon awhile back. It's like 1.25" long and smaller then the normal electronics tweaker screwdriver. Eyeglasses screwdriver sized. I work in electronics so I've got a bunch of those little tweakers and was prepared to either bend one to 90 degrees or cut the head off, but it didn't fit the head of the screws in the flash anyways. The small, tiny screwdriver I found was small enough to almost fit the space available between body and flash, with just the tiniest bit of angle of attack. I used a tiny pair of vice grips to grasp the driver and push in. There's a little bit of resistance from the threads having cut into the virgin plastic at the factory as you start to turn the screw, but they were removed without any damage to the screw heads. They're about 5/16" long, they'll drop out pretty easily if you're not careful, and as soon as you have two out, the flash body will start to flop around a bit, and as you remove the fourth, it will topple and fall. I worked on it while it was laid on the bodies side, which I assume most others would as well. The wires inside, you can't really just unplug and disconnect the flash from the foot. There IS a plug, but there's also a few wires that are soldered in place, so don't yank the body off or let it fall and topple too hard.
I should have taken a picture for reference, but I didn't. Maybe when I repair it I'll remember to take pics and post again. Towards the front of the base, is a small 1/2" long x 1/8" widepiece of metal. There's a screw on either side holding it in place. Poking through the center is the tip of the retention pin. If you stick a tiny flathead screwdriver, eyeglasses repair kit size, into the foot, you can lift that up and gently slide the assembly out of the camera's hot shoe. What has happened is the plastic coupling between the lock switch and the retention pin has broken. I imagine I broke mine by my ham fisted over rotation of the lock switch "Gee I wonder if this will turn all the way around". It shouldn't.
I now need to find a replacement piece coupling. I haven't started looking yet but I imagine it should be readily available online, if not I'll order from the LCS. It looks like you remove the two tiny screws that hold that thin strip of metal in place, and another screw or two by the lock switch to loosen up the assembly, carefully move this and that around, and voila.

Get some feeler gauges and slide between flash and mount to get the pins up and slide it off, thats what i would do

It happened to me as well & there was no way to get a feeler gauge to pass between the flash & the shoe. My flash was dissembled using precision screw drivers from the bottom & numerous little bits & springs came out never to return. The flash can now only be used as a slave.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back