My Welcome Packet (for Bellacat)

Yup I collect it up front because "money spent is money forgotten" so by the time they do their ordering session, they dont mind dropping $300 more because they dont feel like they are spending much. Ya know?

I also offer collections (packages) ranging from $1000 to $3000 and if they pre-pay a package, then I waive their session fee. Rich people tend to do this because they feel like they are saving the $100 but really I end up making more money this way. So...it's all about pricing things juuuuust right.

Thanks for posting this Allsmiles. It's awesome! And your business strategy tips rock :)

yeah, that all makes since..........these next 6 weeks I am spending learning learning learning!!!! Well, obviously I will always be learning but I have a list of what I want to do.

I assume if you collect money up front that you take credit cards :(
I know I need to start dong that but dang......it sounds confusing getting set up and all that. I never use credit cards myself besides business stuff haha... Currently I have all my finances on excel sheets I made, but looking to change to quickbooks for next year.

e-merchant solutions is a company that can help you set up taking credit cards. I hate them but people like to pay with them so its a necessary evil.

I charge them a "connivence fee" because I will be charged 2% of each transaction. (BTW I chrge them 3% lol)

this is all great info. It is very generous for you to show us your packet and offer your help. Thanks.

I am going to start working on a packet like this for the new year. Your packet is simple but full of information. I currently only have a model release form but I know I will need so much more as I gain more experience and my photographs are worthy of pro caliber.

As for the music, how do you go about contacting the studio who holds the rights to the songs? What do you tell them?

TIA

I pick whatever song. For instance, one song that I wanted was Seasons by Nichole Nordemann. So you look up the studio or in her case person that owns the rights. (You can usualy find this info on a CD jacket) Then you contact them and say "I'm a photog, I'd really love to use the song seasons on my website and with DVD slideshow, is there a liscence to the song that I can buy?" And then they'll give you a yes or no answer, some do say no but others say yes. Think of it like software, you just have to buy your copy of it.

Wow, AllSmiles, you're just full of useful information. I bookmarked this thread and will keep coming back for more. I'm nowhere near being able to charge for portraits but I'm hopeful. Great information and thanks so much for sharing.

I charge them a "connivence fee" because I will be charged 2% of each transaction. (BTW I chrge them 3% lol)
You are aware that you are not supposed to do that per the contract you signed with your merchant account(s) provider, right? If you didn't have that stipulation, you're probably the one and only person to not have it.

If you want to provide the convenience of paying by credit card to your customers, it just a cost of doing business. Adjust your prices accordingly and don't be greedy.

Greg

I have no such contract.

As far as me being "greedy" and it being a "cost of doing business" I disagree on both accounts wholeheartedly! It is not my decision that someone insists upon using a credit card, I give and encourage the option of using a personal check. And the 3% instead of 2% covers the monthly fee that I am charged on top of 2%.

I'm not greedy, I'm a business person and my business is my livelyhood.

You are aware that you are not supposed to do that per the contract you signed with your merchant account(s) provider, right? If you didn't have that stipulation, you're probably the one and only person to not have it.

If you want to provide the convenience of paying by credit card to your customers, it just a cost of doing business. Adjust your prices accordingly and don't be greedy.

Greg

This isn't something I know much about (especially merchant account contracts) but I'm going to comment anyway. There are lots of places in my area that will charge a fee for credit card transactions. Usually this applies to charges under a set amount. The best example I can think of is the pet store where my dh buys mice to feed his snakes. They charge $.50 to use the card. They also charge extra for everything, including the containers they put the mice in. No one in any business is giving out free stuff. Even when it's "free" it's usually been included in the price.

I always see commercials for car lots where they're offering some great-sounding deal. The fine print at the bottom of the screen says that the final price will be affected. One year they were "including" an ATV. I think people would come in expecting to get something free when in reality the price of the ATV was being tacked onto the loan and the bank was collecting interest on it as well.

If the customers don't want to pay the charge they have other options: cash, check, money order, cashier's check, etc. Just my 2 cents.

This isn't something I know much about (especially merchant account contracts) but I'm going to comment anyway. There are lots of places in my area that will charge a fee for credit card transactions. Usually this applies to charges under a set amount. The best example I can think of is the pet store where my dh buys mice to feed his snakes. They charge $.50 to use the card. They also charge extra for everything, including the containers they put the mice in. No one in any business is giving out free stuff. Even when it's "free" it's usually been included in the price.

I always see commercials for car lots where they're offering some great-sounding deal. The fine print at the bottom of the screen says that the final price will be affected. One year they were "including" an ATV. I think people would come in expecting to get something free when in reality the price of the ATV was being tacked onto the loan and the bank was collecting interest on it as well.

If the customers don't want to pay the charge they have other options: cash, check, money order, cashier's check, etc. Just my 2 cents.

And in doing so, every single one of them are in violation of their agreements with Visa, MasterCard, and sometimes American Express. If you accept these cards and charge a surcharge, you are breaking their rules and in some states it is a crime. Not saying it isn't done a lot. I'm just saying that if you have to resort to these tactics, maybe you should be reevaluating your prices.

You can offer a "cash discount", which amounts to the same thing, but I would encourage you to word it so that it says that on any paperwork you may have floating around.

You can read up on it more here if you like -- http://www.gofso.com/Premium/LE/06_le_ic/fg/fg-merchants.html

Greg

Would anyone else have any other welcome packages or brochures to share???

And in doing so, every single one of them are in violation of their agreements with Visa, MasterCard, and sometimes American Express. If you accept these cards and charge a surcharge, you are breaking their rules and in some states it is a crime. Not saying it isn't done a lot. I'm just saying that if you have to resort to these tactics, maybe you should be reevaluating your prices.

You can offer a "cash discount", which amounts to the same thing, but I would encourage you to word it so that it says that on any paperwork you may have floating around.

You can read up on it more here if you like -- http://www.gofso.com/Premium/LE/06_le_ic/fg/fg-merchants.html

Greg

Definitely something to think about. I've never sold a picture and won't be doing so anytime in the near future. I will definitely look further into this if I ever do. Thanks for the heads up.

Do you have any idea why this would be so? I only ask because businesses have to recoup their costs and since I know nothing about business in general, I can't imagine why they would care. I always went under the assumption that it costs them money to conduct the transaction so it was their way of recouping the cost. The link you provided was eye-opening, though I've never had much problem using credit cards. I use my Visa bank card for everything. Ever since I got it I rarely carry cash and only write checks to pay my bills. I found it interesting that my state (Oklahoma) specifically does not allow surcharges. I know of several businesses locally that could be in hot water over this if anyone pushed the matter.

There are some very good ideas here. I need to put together a similar packet so that I can get all of the information to my clients first thing so that they'll be well informed going in to the shoot and have fewer questions/concerns later on.

Most reactions

Back