Myspace taking over the world?

CyGuRL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey what's up everyone! How many of you all have Myspace accounts? It seems like all I hear about is Myspace this and Myspace that. It's taken over society! Myspace is a fun site to connect with friends but it's also pretty scary having young kids on that site not being monitored with who is contacting them. I found an alternative to Myspace, with a site that seems safer and less intrusive. The site is called Cyworld. Has anyone heard of it? I've been on it for a few weeks now and love all the features. I was just invited to join the VIP Club too which has a photo contest and cool prize giveaways. I'm sure like you all, I take tons of photos so I'm excited to enter this contest. Let me know if anyone is interested in joining the site or club! If you're already on the site lemme know so we can be friends. :D

I don't have a MySpace or Facebook, but it is very popular.

For example:

I work at a not-very-well-known part of the university library, and my boss set up a Facebook account for my work so more students might become familiar with us.

My friend's dad's office (a bunch of 50 year old guys) has a MySpace.

My hometown (San Luis Obispo) has a MySpace.

The CIA has a Facebook.

The university math club is sending out Facebook reminders to remind people of meetings.

While it is insanely popular, I think it's just a fad--it'll pass.

I don't. I try to avoid the site if at all possible. Most of the pages there make me cringe. Maybe I'm an old fuddy-duddy, at least in web terms. I used to run a dial-up BBS in the old days and have had a web page since around '96 or '97. I started logging in '99, though I don't update much. I still hate the term "blog". It's a web log, dang nabbit. :p

The Internet has changed a lot in the past few years, especially now that kids who are growing up with it are more active on it.

I thought about getting one but couldn't be arsed. Then I did and old friends contacted me, so I'm alright with Myspace now.

Although I hate people who have their music set to auto-start to the core. And anyone who has so much **** on their page it bogs down my computer. It's a brand new AMD 64 thingy, god know how they manage it.

I may have totally the wrong impression of myspace (because i never go there)... but the few times i have checked it out, it just seemed like a place full of wannabies... in an 'im special, look at me' kind of way.... not that this is a bad thing in general... but some of these kids have never even thought about getting a college education in the field they are trying to become famous for... they seem to think that myspace is enough to make them special at what they do.... in other words a place for 'make me famous with out me having to do anything' kind of people.

Then again, like markc i may just be a grumpy old guy, who refuses to take part.... but what are you gonna do :greenpbl:

I do not have and will never have a myspace!
I just hate the site(s) whatever they it are is

I've even started to point and laugh at people who have them :greenpbl:

*grabs lostprophet's finger*

*snaps it*

You're right, there is a load of crap on there. If you want a place to keep people updated on you or a convenient way of keeping in touch with people it's a good tool.

I don't. I try to avoid the site if at all possible. Most of the pages there make me cringe. Maybe I'm an old fuddy-duddy, at least in web terms. I used to run a dial-up BBS in the old days...

Never ran one, but used a few, so that makes me an old fuddy-duddy too. I bought a Zoom 14.4 Kbps internal modem and installed it in my no-brand 40Mhz 486 PC with a massive 170Mb hard drive and 2 Mb of RAM... Must have been 1993. Had the usual Commodore VIC 20 (5 Kb of RAM) and Sinclair ZX Spectrum (48 kilobytes of RAM, my watch probably has more than that now) back in the '80s of course, but no comms with those.

Thom 'Windows 3.1 wasn't so bad' Thomsk

14.4! Oh, luxury! :p My first was a Hayes 1200 baud, I think. It might have been a 600. Been a while. This would have been around '82 or so, on an Apple ][e. The Vic 20s were cool. A friend of mine had one.

I know it comes off as an elitist attitude, and I do think have open systems is the right thing to do, but I do have to admit that I liked it when the users where limited. Not by requirements, but simply the knowledge to use the equipment and systems. The single-to-noise ratio on Usenet went to pot after AOL started in. To me, the success of MySpace says that it's perpetual September for the entire Internet, to the point where the distinction is meaningless. People who care about respect, content, and accuracy now seem to be the minority.

I'm not saying that everyone on MySpace has problems. I just mean that the Internet is now more representative of society as a whole (though the more affluent side) instead of the geeks. As a geek, I miss aspects of the old days a bit. On the plus side, I get to meet people I never would have otherwise if the 'net wasn't so mainstream.

I don't. I try to avoid the site if at all possible. Most of the pages there make me cringe. Maybe I'm an old fuddy-duddy, at least in web terms. I used to run a dial-up BBS in the old days and have had a web page since around '96 or '97. I started logging in '99, though I don't update much. I still hate the term "blog". It's a web log, dang nabbit. :p

The Internet has changed a lot in the past few years, especially now that kids who are growing up with it are more active on it.

:lol: Joe (clarinetjwd) hates the term 'blog', too. :lol: In fact, I think he said it about the exact same way as you did. :biglaugh

Hey what's up everyone! How many of you all have Myspace accounts? It seems like all I hear about is Myspace this and Myspace that. It's taken over society! Myspace is a fun site to connect with friends but it's also pretty scary having young kids on that site not being monitored with who is contacting them. I found an alternative to Myspace, with a site that seems safer and less intrusive. The site is called Cyworld. Has anyone heard of it? I've been on it for a few weeks now and love all the features. I was just invited to join the VIP Club too which has a photo contest and cool prize giveaways. I'm sure like you all, I take tons of photos so I'm excited to enter this contest. Let me know if anyone is interested in joining the site or club! If you're already on the site lemme know so we can be friends. :D

So I'm guessing you 'found' the site when you started working for them? Interesting that they let employees enter the contests too....most companies don't allow that.... Or are you just trying to get us to come check the site out?

Hey guys whats up.

My name is Alexandra and I am sooo intrested in everything that has to do with photography. I LOVE IT. I currently work for cyworld in Los Angeles. I am so excited to join this forum and learn more about my favorite hobby :mrgreen:

Byeee,

Alexx

from THIS THREAD.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back