N00bie question about MP3 players; especially docking stations

Wilynn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'll admit that I'm not up to speed with hardware components designed for listening to music. Actually I'm way behind! I didn't know what a docking station was until today.

I heard someone say this this:
"If I were single... ipod witha BOSE dock all the way for your house or apartment! No questions asked, it is THE HOT SETUP! It's not as good as a full system but its something your guests will love!"

Question: do you really need a Bose or Altec Lansing docking station if you already have a quality 5.1 speaker system hooked up to your computer? For example, I have the Logitech Z5500's. I've never owned an MP3 player, that's how inexperienced I am with this subject. Thanks in advance.

my z5500's: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B0002WPSBC/ref=cm_cr_pr_recent?%5Fencoding=UTF8&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending"]Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Logitech Z-5500 THX-Certified 505-Watt 5.1 Digital Surround Sound Speaker System[/ame]

docking station:
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Bose SoundDock digital music system for iPod (Black)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
No, no, no, no, no, God no, no no.

The speaker system will give you significantly better sound, and most mp3 players have a way to play on your computer directly from the player. If not, then you can take a miniplug to miniplug cable, and put it in the 'line in' port on the computer.

Plus, if the music is on the player, it's also probably on the computer you use to sync it, so it's a moot point really.

Avoid docks at all cost, unless it's the kind that just gives you outputs, but forgoes the built in speakers.

Update for those who live in an apartment, have space issues, or are interested in docking stations:

According to a PC Magazine article I discovered yesterday, the Logitech Pure-Fi Elite docking station blows the Bose docking station away. And, the Bose docking station is an inferior docking station on the whole, according to PC Magazine.

The short article is titled, "This iPod Dock Rocks". It's in the March 2008 issue, page 47. I'll note that they comment on the inability of the Bose unit to provide quality, ear pleasing bass. The article I'm referring to is not available online. Some quotes from the hard copy edition of PC Mag:

>compared with the Bose SoundDock, the Pure-Fi Elite has deeper bass extension
>it also sounded smoother and more detailed than the SoundDock in the upper midrange
>one gripe: the system did not always power on quickly
>we were also disappointed that the set doesn't have an alarm clock...
>the bottom line is that the looks, punch, and price steal the show here
>the Logitech Pure-Fi Elite turns heads and pumps out top-notch sound quality at an attractive price

Those are the exact quotes as stated in said issue of PC Magazine. Go to your local library to obtain the article. As always, shop wisely, do your research, contact tech/customer support BEFORE you purchase a product, and most of all, let the buyer beware.

iPod Docks That Rock - Logitech Pure-Fi Elite - At A Glance - Reviews by PC Magazine
Amazon.com: logitech pure-fi elite
iPod Docks That Rock - Logitech Pure-Fi Dream - At A Glance - Reviews by PC Magazine

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Bose anything is just a Coby rewired with a new label on it To clarify DO NOT FALL THEM AND DO NOT BUY
There are a lot of better and cheaper speakers on the market that you won't be paying "trademark tax" on

where's it going?

if it;s going in the living room, just get the apple charging dock and hook it up to your surround.

if you dont have surround, you can get a decent set up for less than the bose dock.

Most reactions

Back