ND Filters

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by woodsac, Nov 2, 2005.

1. woodsac

woodsac TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Is there a *general* nd filter, or one that is most commonly used? I'm wanting to capture movement in daylight. Primarily landscape shots with clouds. I'm not sure which filter to buy. I'm sure there is a time and place for each, but I can only afford one to start. Then add more over the next couple of weeks.

So, do I go for ND2, ND4, or ND8. I know there's others, but those seem to be the most common of the group. I've also seen them listed as 0.3, 0.6, etc. I can figure out the conversion part ;) if someone can point me in the right direction.

2. airgunr

airgunr TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Personnally I would start with a 2 stop ND. Another option, but expensive, is to get the Singh Ray Variable ND filter. It is variable from 1 to 10 stops. Get it in the largest filter size you use for your lenses and then use step-up rings to fit it to the others you may have.

You could also use a set of stacked polarizers to add a few stops.

3. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

ND2 is pretty much the most versatile for "normal" landscape work IMO. If you have a specific shot in mind, then it may be worth going a few stops more. Remember that your shot is only as good as the weakest bit of glass in front of the film/sensor, so stacking may give results which do not please you.

Here's some stuff more geared to gradient filters, but along the lines of your enquiry:
    http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/guides/nd_filters/nd_grads1.html

Rob