Need a good lens for friday night football

Seriously, thank you SO MUCH!!! I have the Nikor 50mm 1.8, will that still work with the newer d5200?

Where are you planning to shoot the games from? Can you get on the sidelines, or are you going to be shooting it from the stands?

If you're shooting from the stands, you are basically wasting your time and aren't going to get many great images of the action. If you're shooting from the field, a 200 mm lens at 2.8 really is the minimum you need to be able to pull this off. I wouldn't bother trying the 85mm route. I can't imagine being able to consistenly and safely get good results at the focal length.

Where are you located and how big is your kids' school? Does the school contract with a local pro to sell you images, or does the local paper regularly cover the games? If the paper is covering it, and your kids often get near the ball, they're likely to have photos they could sell you for a very reasonable price.

You said your kids have 3 more years under the lights. Are they actually playing on the varsity team this year? If not, can you take pictures at JV or freshman games that happen during daylight hours instead?

I'm going to try to get down to the sidelines vs the stands and during the summers, they want me to take pictures during the day of scrimmages too.

I'm in MD, and no one really takes pictures. for me also, I'm trying to involve myself in their sports by taking the photos since I'm not into football as much as my husband is :)

Yes, they are starting on Varsity as sophomores this year, so we have three years. But i took some shots of them during summer scrimmages with the lens it came with and they sucked lol.

Kudos to them starting varsity as sophomores and great that you want to get involved!

Op is also shooting with a d5000, which hardly usable past iso 800.

You guys crack me up.

I really wish people weren't afraid of high ISO.

Depends on the camera really - on my D5100 the noise got pretty bad at 1600 and up, on my D5200 I can get usable shots even all the way up to 6400 with a little noise reduction in post.

Ok, so yes this is probably the most shameless plug of all time, but if you do decide to go with a D5200 let me know, I have one for sale. It's used but in great condition, low shutter count, includes battery grip and 2 batteries. I can make you a killer deal on it since I'll be upgrading myself soon.

Throw your 70-200mm in, and you got a deal. JK - PM me your asking price :)

thank you JacaRanda!!!! :hail: Do i get extra points since i'm only the Stepmom :) lol

Haha thank you!

Hey, so i know you all said upgrading to the 5200 would help me, but what about the D7100? I just found a package on Ebay that includes a flash and two tripods, a 70-300mm lens and 52mm wide angle lens..

would the 7100 + a 70-300mm lens work for some ok football pics?

The 7100 is a great choice, the 70-300 mm lens would work fine in good lighting but I don't think it will give you very good results for the evening games, the glass is just too slow.

Throw your 70-200mm in, and you got a deal. JK - PM me your asking price :)

thank you JacaRanda!!!! :hail: Do i get extra points since i'm only the Stepmom :) lol

Lol.. well the camera body I'll be happy to PM you on - the 70-200 mm, sorry but not a chance. I'd sooner sell my left arm. :)

Work harder on the convincing.
My partner convinced me that she needed a Nikon AF-S 300mm f/2.8 VRII
*LOL* Today she's off to the airport to fly to Normandy, France to photograph the World Equestrian Games as one of the official photographers.
Just tell him to imagine what you can do if he let you.

Most reactions

Back