Need a tripod....

kidchill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.tripcphotos.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Okay, so I need to get a tripod, but I don't wanna spend more than $175. Any ideas? I was at Ritz the other day, and I like and trust the Manfrottos, it was $180 without the head... I'm running a D300 and an 18-200mm VR lens, so it needs to be able to hold some weight. I'm thinking about 4ft high would be fine (i can lean over a bit) but I want it light!! I checked out B&H and they have a big selection, but I don't really know the names (brands, which are good and which are crap) and I'm not really up to snuff on the ball vs pan heads and all that. Make my decision easy for me.....Please

Let me get this straight.....

You spend $2500 bucks on a camera and lens but you don't wanna spend more than $175 on a good tripod to intrust the safety of that $2500 investment? Thats like running a $140k porsche 911 on Sam's wholesale bought Generals tires....

If you insist on staying under $175, my advice is to stick with the sturdy Manfrotto/Bogen products but go used. There is not much to break and even the 30 year old tripods are going to be good... assuming all is working condition. I have a very old Bogen 3001 with 3 way pan that I found at a camera swap for $35 that I would not mind placing $4000 dollars of camera equipment on. (I'm sure whoever first bought that tripod spent more than $175 bucks - adjusted for inflation).

Look into the Manfrotto 190xprob. Its a lightweight sturdy tripod and goes for about $14. I use mine with a Calumet head and it has no problem supporting my D200 with a sigma 70-200 2.8 attached. Its great to carry around and if attached to a backpack or shoulder strap can be carried on long ourdoor hikes without weighing you down. Altogether I spent less than $200 on my tripod setup and I am very satisfied. Its not the best for studio work but its a great cary around tripod and its in your budget.

My new tripod is a Manfrotto 190D and I have had it just over a day and at full length I have yet to detect any movement. It is close to 6' fully extended and I had my Sigma 70-200 mm and when I took and night time photo I didn't get any movement at all. Nice tripod.

Good resource to read before buying a tripod. You don't have to spend the kind of money Thom Hogan does, unless you are mounting the kind of gear he does on a daily basis, A good quality tripod bought for the future can last you a lifetime.
http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

For under $300 you should be able to find a good setup. My personal field choice was the Bogen 3021B Pro legs and the 488 RC2 head.

I think the head on the Velbon is easier to use, handle for panning and crank for height....

IMG_SHERPA-550R.gif

Cheers, Don.

Hi Chris!
I agree with Mystwalker. I've got 055XProB with 488RC2 and I'm glad very much. The ballhead is always comfortable to use and this tripod is steady and solid.

I ended up getting the Manfrotto 725B. I was looking for something relatively small while folded up. I put my D300 and 18-200VR lens on it.....it didn't move a bit!! When school slows down a bit I will definitely be out taking some pics!!

Most reactions

Back