Need Advice: Filters and settings for Rich Colored Skies

jtice

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jtice.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Canon 30D on the way :D (been wanting one forever)
I will be using a Sigma 18-200mm lens starting out, and I already ordered a UV filter for it. (mainly for protection)

I would like to get a nice filter (62mm) that would help capture deeper rich color for the sky.
Plus if you have any advice on settings that would help achieve this, that would be great.

Thanks
~John

Hey John... to get deeper blues out of the sky you could use a circular polarizer or a graduated neutral density filter.

I have grad ND8 from Cokin (20 beans for the filter, 20 beans for the mounting ring & bracket) and I like the affect a bit more than the polarizer (50 - 60) just because it's a bit stronger. The sky will go from light blue to almost black at the top. The polarizer is a bit more flexible though and the affect is applied uniformly across the entire frame where the graduated filters need either a level horizon or you need to adjust it so that the affect isn't being applied to buildings or whatever might be breaking the horizon.

This pic is taken with the grad ND 8 filter and this one is with a circular polarizer.

My advice would be to get both (the CPL first though) of course.

if you need a filter to increase the saturateion of the sky....get a circular polarized filter (CPL).....i just got one yesterday....it is lovely.....reduce glare peacefully......but one thing i don tlike is that you need to turn the filter to a certain angle before you see the ultimate affect.......

when buying a CPL...i sugget you buy a larger size......and then buy stepring for your 62mm.....because CPL is expensive.....you dont want to buy one for each of your lense...instead...buy a big one...say 72mm....and then you step down....steprings are a lot cheaper....hehe....and this way you only need one set of filter....(all big size)...and then put it on all your lenses whenver you need

Thanks rmh159 and shingfan,
The Sigma 18-200mm has a non-rotating front ring, (doesnt spin when zoomed in and out) so that should work well with the rotating polarizer.
It would also work well with that graduated one, I forgot all about those. I can see how they could cause some issues, not being uniform, but might get a nice effect at times.

Interesting idea getting a large one to fit all the lens,
my only concern is that the lens hood would not fit after that.
Guess I would have to get a lens hood for 72mm then.

~John

Most reactions

Back