Need advice on taking car pix during sunset

BRABUS27

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there, my friends and I are going to have a little photoshoot but I am not quite familiar with taking pictures during sunset. How should I angle the cars (the front face the sunset, 45 degree to the sun?)? and what is the best angle to take the picture from (down low, mirror height?)? I use a Nikon D70s with the stock 18-70mm with UV Filter and I do have a Cir. Polarizing filter [not familiar how to use it either]. Are there settings I need to change on this camera so the colors will turn out good?

Our plan is to meet at a high school during the afternoon, maybe it will be a good time to use the polarizer, but I am not familar with it either. It is a Heliopan ES67 Slim version.

Also, should I shoot NEF or NEF+JPEG Basic, or is JPEG FINE is good enough?

Thanks in advance!

shoot raw, you can use the polarizer to remove reflections in the cars windows, it is a very nice effect but it will change your exposure time dramatically.. Use the last rays of light as the sun goes down parralell with the cars lines...... you want the suns light low and parallel... it basically enhances the cars lines.....

for this type of shoot I tend to like shadows, thats why car shots at 12noon dont look all that dramatic no shadow..... just plan the shadow to be behind the car if you can help it, also maybye a buddy can be on the side with a reflector and shine some golden light onto things like tire tread, rims, etc..... accentuate something a little tiny bit.....

You have to make sure its got enough light for the sensor to pick up nicely , but not soo much that its not dramatic anymore!!!!

Good luck....

Think about using a graduated neutral density filter too if you're going to be facing the sun. That way you can even out the exposure a bit more and not have a blown out horizon or an underexposed car.

Thanks for the advices guys, the photoshoot didnt turn out that good, our car placement was just boring. We didnt even get to sunset, only until 5:30pm. I will look into the graduated density filter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back