Need Advise on issue with website images

jacklynee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello Everyone,

this website have kind and knowledgeable people and wanted to learn something new..

My Issue: I am trying to make images for my website, it sposed to be an OS Commarce site and i can not get images to look nice

Example 1: i want images to be 120x120 or 100x100 but when someone click on the image it becomes 300x300 or 450x450

Every time i upload images to my website they look so bad or comprised and i look at amazon.com or ebay
they have images that are perfect.

Example website of what i am talking about:
1-http://www.smokersplaza.com/index.php

So if you look at Cobalt Glass Water Pipe it is small size and then it can be large .... the website i am working with is smokeshop also .. i dont want to steal other people pic i have my own pic i want them to look like them.

Now i know the image has be realized and photoshoped but the issue that even after resized and save for web, and then make thumbnail i still get results wrong

I tryied Photoshop cs3 , fireworks , Giump , Photoshop elements 7 , thumbnail creator, arvineview and so many other programs and i photoshop alot of images and test them but still they look bad once uploaded into OScommarce !! i change bacground color to white or transparent .. they image look good in their normal size but once they in website look really bad.

Does anyone know how amazon , or ebay or Smokeplaza did their images ?

I took 3 samples just for testing with their images and they look good , i have to remove the images from my site because i want my images not someone else's

Please advise

Thank you very much
jack_lynee

Hello ,

You are more then welcome in this site ,, going back to my orgnal issue
Here is the url : Test

Test 3 is not my image

Please advise

Thank you

I'm a little confused about your question, but I think this is the answer you're looking for.

* Make all images no more than 72 dpi. That's all a website can display.
* You need two images, one for the thumbnail and a larger one for the enlarged image. See how I do this at http://www.JeffColburn.com
* In Photoshop, use the Save Image For Web and Devices to make the files size small so it will load faster. Save as JPG at 50%

I hope that helps.

Have Fun,
Jeff

Last edited:
That is not a true statement.

Online or on a computer monitor, PPI (pixels per inch) is actually meaningless, only pixel dimensions matter.

PPI only becomes meaningful in any way, when an image will be printed.

DPI (dots per inch) is a printer term, not a photographic term.

Dots are round. Pixels are square or rectangular.

A printer has to use 8 or so dots to print 1 pixel.

The terms PPI and DPI are not the same thing and are not interchangeable.

One of the following 600 pixel by 680 pixel images is at 360 ppi and the other is at 72 ppi. Can you see any difference? The third image is at 10ppi.

360pp600x680SelfPortrait100805D300A.jpg

72pp600x680SelfPortrait100805D300A1.jpg

10ppi600x680SelfPortrait100805D300A.jpg

Last edited:
That is not a true statement.

Online or on a computer monitor, PPI (pixels per inch) is actually meaningless, only pixel dimensions matter.

PPI only becomes meaningful in any way, when an image will be printed.

You are correct, I should have said PPI, not DPI. However, you still don't need to have an image with a resolution larger than 72 PPI when it will be displayed on a website. As your images show, there is no visible difference between the 72 and 360 image. Putting an image on a website with a resolution greater than 72 PPI won't improve the image quality and will take longer to download. The standard used by website designers is to make the resolution of images 72 PPI.

jack_lynee, is this the kind of information you were looking for?

Have Fun,
Jeff

Most reactions

New Topics

Back