Need flash recommendations, please.

Lanimilbus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I’ve gone through six different flashes for my Panasonic Lumix FZ20 and haven’t been satisfied with any of them. So, I’m coming here for recommendations – I need an external, non-dedicated flash that’s NOT a slave, and will fit into the hot shoe mount on top of the camera and go off instead of the built-in flash. I’m not looking for a cheap-o throwaway flash, but I’m not looking for a $2,100 one either. The problems I’ve had with my flashes so far are that they all either take pictures that aren’t illuminated enough, or are so illuminated that the picture is completely washed out, and there’s no happy medium between the two. The ones I’ve had have all angled up and down, but when it’s straight on the subject is completely washed out and the picture is nothing but a white blob. But then, the next click up, 45 degrees, is too dark, and the picture is just a dark grainy blur. So I’m looking for something that will angle between 0 and 45…I found a flash like that, that had angles at something like 30 degrees and 15 degrees, but it turned out that it was a slave flash and would only go off in addition to the built-in flash, which also washes out the picture. So, again, the features I’m looking for are;
- Non-dedicated
- Will be able to angle between 45 degrees and zero.
- Won’t be a throwaway flash, but won’t be insanely expensive either
- Will go off instead of the built-in flash and screw into the hot shoe, as opposed to a slave flash, which I do not want.
- And (this isn’t necessary, but preferable) will have a fairly quick recycle time.

With that being said, could anyone recommend a flash for me? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

-Alec

I have been using two Vivitar 283's for years. Great flashes. Inexpensive, could probably find them used.

uberben said:
What have you used in the past??

Vivitar DF-200, Vivitar 2800, Quantaray QB-350A, and three others that I've rented from a camera store out-of-state that I also had the same problem with.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back